When to intervene? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

When to intervene?

I'm brand new to this forum. We just had our first litter of pups on 11-20-08. Addie started in labor around 4:30 that afternoon and had the last one @ 12:26am 11-21-08. Boy, puppies just kept coming, she had 12. The following morning one had died. My concern is I need for someone to tell me when I may have to intervene, what should I be looking for? I did not get birth weights. What should the normal weght gain be daily? The pups for the most part seem fairly content. I have never seen anything cuter. Can anyone help me ,I would appreciate any advice. Thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

Re: When to intervene?

Marlina,

Welcome to the board.

So the 11 pups are 11 days old, right? Do they all look like they are gaining weight? Do any of them constantly cry or does the mother push any of them away from her? Those would be signs that there is a problem and you need to step in.

As long as Mom is producing enough milk and the pups are nursing fine you should be ok.

Since mom only has 8 teats you can rotate which pups get to eat when. This is easier to do if each pup is identified somehow. Most people use different colored ribbon to identify each pup.

You want to increase the amount and quality of mom's food to help her with the increasing demand on her. What are you feeding her now?

Hopefully you have good homes lined up for all those babies! And we'd love to see pictures of them!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: When to intervene?

Lauri, Thanks for the welcome. We had been rotating them about every 3-4 hours. The vet told me that they do this naturally. I actually would feel better going back to rotaing them. How often should we be doing this? no one cries constantly. There are times when a baby can't find mom , then that's when we help out. They are 11 days old. Addie gets Diamond puppy chow with esbilac puppy formula sprinkled on her food. Saturday A.M. I noticed her respirations were quite rapid. I then took her temp. It was 102.6. I could tell that she was acting more anxious than normal. I of course was thinking the worst eclampsia, so I got her to the vet. The vet was unable to identify the reason for this. She did put her on cephalexin and also said that I could give Addie 3 tums a day just to be on the safe side. I'm an R.n. I know what to do when people are sick but If something should happen to my babies I feel helpless. I feel like I did when I had my first child. We'll get pictures to you asap. Thankyou so much for you're advice! How do you feed you're dogs. Tell me about you're raw food diet. It sounds expensive. Marlaina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page