thinking of changing foods - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thinking of changing foods

Jack has settled in on INNOVA large breed puppy and evo canned food with good results but I really want to go grain free as I really think that is really the best....

I read on dogfoodanalysis.com that go natural grain free is a 5 star food...... but it is really high in protein

He really only eats about 2 cups dry and 1 can of canned a day now and a few treats

1. what do you think of Go natural grain free
2. since it is high protein can I just give him a little of that for several months and keep him ont LB INNOVA puppy

I wish I could find a dry that he would eat without the canned,,,,

But maybe when he is an adult

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Re: thinking of changing foods

Grain free may be the way to go for an adult dog----do not feed grain free to a puppy. It is way too high in protein and could have adverse effects on the joints and growing bones. You do not want the puppy to grow too fast. All grain free foods are very high protein.
As for your current diet-why do you want to switch? Adding in some canned food is actually a great way to supplement the kibble with a very good source of protein, vitamnins and minerals. The canned food has less preservatives and nastys in it. With that being said-be careful of feeding EVO canned-again because it is grain free. Until he is an adult I would stick to puppy food---including canned if possible. If you must choose a regular adult canned food----choose something other than grain free. Unless of course you have diagnosed allergies to grains.

brimmie
Brimmstone GSD BH,OA,OAJ,FO
Buddy GSD
ET GSD
Tazer GSD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Elite Member

I like the Fromm Surf and Turf, only 30% protien which is pretty low for a grain free. I also plan on feeding this to my new puppy. It is pretty low Cal/phos. well within puppy range.

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

I'm feeding riley Orijen Large Breed Puppy. It's grain free and i've only heard good things from other people who feed it to both adults and puppies.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 PM

Sofia has been on Orijen LBP since we got her at 8 weeks and she has been doing great on it. And she loves the taste!

If you have concerns about the high protein content, go to the Orijen website and read the white paper document. It has all the research you may want to read about if you are interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:49 PM

We have been having issues with Luther's food - the vet is thinking potential grain allergy - and have switched him to Orijen LBP. He LOVES it and (fingers crossed) so far poops are great, and he's doing beautifully on it.

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:
Grain free may be the way to go for an adult dog----do not feed grain free to a puppy. It is way too high in protein and could have adverse effects on the joints and growing bones. You do not want the puppy to grow too fast. All grain free foods are very high protein.

With that being said-be careful of feeding EVO canned-again because it is grain free.
Your warning doesn't hold true for canned food.

This is for Evo's HIGH PROTEIN canned food:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein - 12.0% min.
Crude Fat - 8.0% min.
Crude Fiber - 0.5% max.
Moisture - 78.0% max.
Vitamin E - 100 IU/kg min.

Evo's Adult Beef Formula (which has the higher levels than the adult canned formulas):

Nutritional Analysis

Moisture 75.77 %
Protein 11.05 %
Fat 11.0 %
Linoleic Acid 0.5 %
Arachidonic Acid 0.01 %
Fiber 0.12 %
Ash 1.43 %
Calcium 0.24 %
Phosphorous 0.23 %
Magnesium 0.01 %
Sodium 0.15 %
Potassium 0.24 %
Chloride 0.25 %
Iron 71.05 mg/kg
Zinc 48.26 mg/kg
Copper 3.49 mg/kg
Iodine 0.67 mg/kg
Manganese 5.63 mg/kg
Selenium 0.09 mg/kg
Arginine 0.75 %

http://www.evopet.com/products/defau...nel=na&id=1493

Canned food, as you can tell, is mostly water. There just isn't much protein in it. In fact, the protein and fat levels in canned Evo put them below every quality adult kibbles I know of. We also need to be concerned with calcium and phosphorous (and keep an eye on such nutrients as zinc and copper). But none of these in Evo canned are too high for a growing GSD pup.

There is no reason that Kathy can't feed Evo to her pup.

With kibbles, because moisture levels are so low, the food is dense. That's why we keep a close eye on nutrient levels. But some grain free foods, like Natural Balance, the protein level (around 21-24%) can be fine for growing GSD pups. In fact, I worry that some, like Duck and Potato, may not have sufficient fat for active growing puppies.

There is no hard and fast rule such as: "do not feed grain free to a puppy." We need to read ingredients labels. We need to read guaranteed analyses. More importantly, we need to read nutritional analyses (and ask manufacturers for them when they're not available on the bag or website). And we need to know where our dog is in his growth. Then we can make the best decision for our individual pup.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thanks for all your replys
I knew that the evo wasn't really bad.....and he like sit so he will continue to get it LOl

I agree with reading
but am figuring at 9 months maybe the change

KATHY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Don't we need to do the "as fed" calculation on canned food so we can compare it to kibble?
I of course can not remember the forumla

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for pointing out that there are afew grain free kibbles available with a lower protein content. Totally my mistake. I do stand corrected.
I have researched the 5 to 6 star rated foods...all of which are very high in protein. From the documentation I have read, the advice was/has been to avoid feeding a pup a high protein food, due to the growing joints and bones.
As for my respones to EVO canned food-I only meant that "I" wouldn't use it as an add in along with the grain free food-for a puppy.
Very unfortunately, someone I know was feeding their puppy a grain free food which could have contributed to a serious joint problem (also genetics playing a part) that now requires surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page