When can I start feeding raw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

When can I start feeding raw?

Yesterday my vet told me NOT to feed my puppy (he is 10 weeks) raw, since his digestive system won't be able to handle it yet. Silly me forgot to ask when it would be safe to start introducing raw elements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: When can I start feeding raw?

Ummmm when do wild dogs, wolves, coyotes begin eatting raw? Do they start on kibble in their den?

You can start him now. Raw breeders wean their pups onto the raw diet so there is no reason a 10 week old cannot handle it. Just like any pup they would need smaller portions more frequently and I would avoid the really hard bones. I do not see a reason to not start him on raw now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Crowned Member

His body was designed to be weaned onto raw, then fed raw his entire life. We have learned to feed kibble as a "convienience food," but it is not natural for puppies or dogs.

My puppy went from Momma's milk weaned onto his balanced raw diet of ground turkey, chicken wings, yogurt, etc.. in the correct proportions for him and his littermates.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Now.... :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

<<putting on flame suit>>

It depends on how much YOU know about raw and feeding a balanced diet where you KNOW your puppy is getting all the nutrients he/she needs in the right proportions.

During this critical time of growth, it is not a time to experiment. If you feed too much Calcium and not enough Zinc and Magnesium, you can cause serious growth and bone development problems. Same goes with other nutrients.

If you are new to raw... take this time to study up on it. Study nutritional requirements of dogs. Study which nutrients bind to others when there's too much or too little of them. This knowledge will not only help you safely switch to raw when your pup is a bit older and past this growth stage, but it will allow you to start earlier with other dogs down the road AND it will open your eyes to your OWN nutritional needs. I know it did for me!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

No "Tula Flambe" here! I agree, a good bit of research on how to correctly balance a raw diet is the best way to begin. Yes, the sooner a pup is on raw the better-- but correctly balanced raw is what he or she needs to get all needed nutrients in the right proportions, especially when so young and developing.

Ian Billinghurst's book "Give Your Dog a Bone" is an easy, super way to learn! Also, the internet has tons of websites on how to correctly balance a raw diet. Plus, here in this forum can educate on percentages of meat, organ meat, bone, and possibly any veggies and/or supplements.. and how to prepare them. It's easy!-- but-- it takes a bit of research before taking the plunge. It is NOT complicated... no Mama wolf or human gets a manual on how to balance their baby's diets.. but we do need to read percentages, what foods provide what.. and then we are soon ready to begin raw after that research!

Raw is the best thing I have ever done for my dog. Puppies can enjoy raw as soon as they're weaned. This is a great forum to learn how to balance a raw diet! http://www.rawdogranch is another fantastic, informative site. Happy reading!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 AM

I spoke with my dog's breeder about this. My puppy (coming this weekend at 15 wks) has been eating raw since he was weened from his momma. They recommended the same "brand" they feed him now and gave me the feeding schedule and all. Very helpful. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page