Feeding Schedule... Help Needed... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Feeding Schedule... Help Needed...

I read I need to set a routine for my new puppy and stick to it, but I have a question about feeding him.

When do working people feed their dogs? I know he will get fed after work, but what about before? I had wanted to make sure he has time to relieve himself.

How people do this without hiring doggie day-care? Recommendations?

Thanks,
GrisNme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Feeding Schedule... Help Needed...

I always feed first thing in the morning (after taking them out, my shower and when I'm in the kitchen for coffee/breakfast). And then later in the day around my meal time (6 ish?).

For puppies younger than 12 weeks, I may try to get in 3 feedings a day........ but I'd see how the puppy is doing. Since I use tons of treats to traing when I'm home, that could probably be the calories of a meal. So real 'food' time could still be twice a day.

I prefer twice a day cause I also pay attention and really look at my dogs at meal time. Sounds weird but on a busy day, it's easy to take my dog(s) for granted and not really SEE them. (hm, is she limping? how long has she been limping? hm, is something wrong with her eye? What's up and when did that happen?)

My dog's eating habits are directly in line with their health. ALL my dogs eat all the food when I put it down or up it comes. So I know how much they eat, when, and what 'normal' is for each of them. So if they are ill, and the vet asks the question they ALWAYS do about their appetite, what/when/how much they ate...... I will definitely know the answer and be able to help and not just stand there with the 'uh, I have no idea' answer free feeding would give me.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 AM

I have found that I get up about an hour earlier (this is hard as I like my sleep) than normal to feed Bailey....that gives her time to digest. Then she has a snack during the day of a frozen kong with a mixture of kibble and other goodies, or a nice soup bone to nibble on while teething. Since Bailey is only 12 weeks old she gets walked during the early afternoon and is given a small treat. Then she gets her dinner around 7pm. Seems to work for us....but really it will depend on your schdule.

Kelly
Temp. in Marshall, MI.....next stop Fort Campbell, KY 47 days to go.....

Bailey (ALTA-TOLLHAUS), GSD 6 months
Nero the Italian Stallion, Cat Rescue 2 yr
Gracie, Beagle Rescue 10 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Knighted Member

Jesse is a year old, he gets fed differently every day.... depending if it is a work day or day off, he will get breakfast on a work day around 6:30 a.m., on off days walked first then fed probably around 8:00 a.m., he gets his dinner anywhere from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. and around 6:30 p.m. he gets a ball filled with half a cup of food to play with before he crashes for night by 7:00 p.m.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Knighted Member

When Jesse was little I got up an hour early, walked him and then fed him, went to work, I had my nephew come in during his lunch at school and let him out and feed him again and then I get home from work early and walk and fed him again.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page