Big feeding issues, pup won't eat. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Big feeding issues, pup won't eat.

Here's the problem...my pup is about 3 months old weighs 26 pounds and will only eat cheap dog food...like Purina small bites... I have been feeding him Wellness LBP for a month now and he didn't love...it but he'd at least eat about two cups a day. But, around last Friday he stopped eating completely. I was at my GFs house and he kept getting into her poodle Purina Smallbites, but wouldn't touch his own food.

When I got him Sunday he still refused to eat his own food...even if I soaked it in chicken broth. So, I went to the store and bought him some Canidae ALS because people say their dogs love that stuff....but I could only get him to eat about a 1/4th a cup of that and I kept having to coax him to eat it.,...he would just lay down while nibbling on it. So, then I mixed 1/4th a can of canidae canned food into it...which did little more than hold his interest for 4-5 more small bites.

Then I called Wellness and asked them for advice, she told me to try mixing their brand of wet food with it...which I don't think will work considering his reaction to the canidae wet food. I then told her I had given him a sample of wellness core a month a go and he loved it...she said even they it's not usually recomended for puppies she said it be better if he ate that then nothing at all...or a cheap brand

So here are my options as I see them.

1. feed him a cheap dog food brand he will eat

2. feed him Wellness Core...and see how long he sticks with that.

Any ideas? I am really starting to get scared his refusal to eat properly is effecting his growth.

26 pounds at 3 months seems very small to me. You can see his spine sticking out, you can't see his ribs, but he gets very skinny between his hind legs and his rib cage.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Big feeding issues, pup won't eat.

I think you are making too much of a "big deal" about him eating. I would choose a food, (NOT Wellness CORE due to his age, and NOT Purina either.), put the food down for him, and after about 15 or so minutes, pick the bowl up and not give him ATYTHING to eat until his next meal.

You can seaily "teach" a pup/dpg to be a "picky eater" by catering to them when they behave like he is.

This is of course providing he is perfectly healthy. And the fact that he will happily eat "junk food" makes it sound like he probably is.

Unless he is an awefully HUGE bodied pup, 26lbs at 3 months doesn't sound that small to me.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I may be mistaken but I don't think Wellness recommends feeding Wellnes Core until the dog is about 15 months old. Can anyone out there confirm this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Thanks Tracy, I didn't see your post about the age.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI think you are making too much of a "big deal" about him eating. I would choose a food, (NOT Wellness CORE due to his age, and NOT Purina either.), put the food down for him, and after about 15 or so minutes, pick the bowl up and not give him ATYTHING to eat until his next meal.

You can seaily "teach" a pup/dpg to be a "picky eater" by catering to them when they behave like he is.

This is of course providing he is perfectly healthy. And the fact that he will happily eat "junk food" makes it sound like he probably is.

Unless he is an awefully HUGE bodied pup, 26lbs at 3 months doesn't sound that small to me.

The problem is when I do that he can go 3 days and eat maybe a 1/4th a cup for the entire 3 days. It just seems like at such a vital time in his life not eating could seriously impact his growth.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

I would want to also check to be sure there were no problems with his digestive system/tract, including his throat, and belly. Particularly with his spine sticking out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDYou can seaily "teach" a pup/dpg to be a "picky eater" by catering to them when they behave like he is.
I fell into that trap with Morgan. She was malnourished when I rescued her at 6 months old - she'd been living on the street for who knows how long. I just wanted her to eat and be a normal looking pudgy puppy. I babied her with all kinds of add ins.

I had to keep doing it until she was about 2. At that point I had my oldest son. With a newborn, I didn't have the time or the patience for her pickiness so I'd just pick up her food if she didn't eat it after 15 or 20 minutes. Mostly I picked it up so my other dog wouldn't eat it - he was the rare overweight german shepherd.

Morgan learned to either eat or go hungry. She's still kinda picky but dinner comes every night after the kids eat. Some nights she gets a bit of leftovers, some nights she doesn't. She doesn't strike for goodies anymore.

One thing I've noticed she's very picky about is what the dinner is served in. I started giving her dinner on regular plate, just becuase it was one less thing to clean. She seems to really like that.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

He had a big problem for the first several weeks I had him with liquid stools, it went on for so long it started to get bloody. It has finally firmed up pretty good though, and he just very ocasionaly has a liquid issue.

The vet did a full work up on him as far testing for worms and parasites, he never found anything but treated him anyway.

The vet also said his weight looked normal, I am basing my concern off of growth charts I have found online that show him significantly under weight, and the fact that he has no puppy fat what so ever.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Did you put him on bland diet then? Maybe he's hunger striking for the chicken and rice.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No, I didn't do anything but use the medication from the vet, and some yogurt mixed with his food. Although Friday I gave him a rib bone from a deer I shot, and he kept getting into the other dogs cheap food...so he may be hunger striking for more of that.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page