Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Food

I have an 8 month old GSD. I have used Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy since we got her. She is 80 lbs. and looks to be in good health. I have read about problems with this food. One problem she has is she does scratch some. She does not have fleas. Her coats looks slick but her skin seems a little dry. I am thinking about changing her food. I have read about Blue for puppies, Innova and Eagle Pak. I don't mind to pay for GOOD quality food, but it seems some of the higher priced foods are not very good. I need help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Master Member

Re: Food

Narrowing down why her skin is dry is important. Changing foods is a shot in the dark. You can go that route but if Nutro is working in all other respects, you may want to add some salmon oil, whole egg or fish oil caps into her food once a day. I know that helped my dogs at one point. If I remember correctly, Blue is pretty much the same as Nutro as far as ingredients. If you go the Eagle Pak route, the Eagle Pak Holistic is what I would recommend. It has the better ingredients of all the Eagle Pak products.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

The type of shampoo can also make your dog's skin dry, and often you clean them. Do you use human shampoo? Sometimes baby shampoo is okay, but you may want to try a dog shampoo with oatmeal.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to girl213

She might have food allergies! My ruger went through the same thing... the vet recommended food with meat as the first ingriedient, Blue Seal Natural 26 is what we use now. Switching foods alot is bad for your dog... so once you find one that works stick with it, if no luck ask your vet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page