Soft stool for over a month now... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Soft stool for over a month now...

When we first got our GSD pup, he has loose stools but he also had Cocci./Hookworm. So the doc. put him on sulfacilicide and flagyl. He was on .7ml flagyl then he doubled in weight so the doc said to give him 1.5ml of it and we've been giving a quarter of a pill of the sulfacilicide for the while time...three times a day.

She also put him on IAMS low moisture prescription food. He seemed to improve but now today, we missed a dose of the flagyl and he had a complete cow pie of sorts. Water seperated from the stool after about a minute (gross but I found it interesting/odd).

Now I called the vet tonight and my doc wasn't in but another doc. was happy to give me more flagyl and tell me if it didn't clear up to bring him in. She didn't realize I'd already brought him in 3 times!

So I'm curious...what is going on with this dog? He has a pattern of a day or two firm and then right back to loose stool (flagyl or not).

Is there any permanent digestive issues dog's get? Could there be something the vet is totally forgetting or missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Emt1581

"Sheep fear the sheepdog because it is not a sheep, but when the wolves come around the sheep all cower behind the sheepdog"~LTC Dave Grossman, RANGER, Ph.D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Re: Soft stool for over a month now...

Maybe others with EPI dogs can chime in but I would have your pup tested for EPI:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/epi.html

It's relatively common in certain lines of GSD and is permanent, although it can usually be kept (mostly) under control with medication.

Also I'd look into SIBO:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/...erial_overg.htm

Poor guy I hope you can figure out what's bothering him.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: phgsdMaybe others with EPI dogs can chime in but I would have your pup tested for EPI:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/epi.html

It's relatively common in certain lines of GSD and is permanent, although it can usually be kept (mostly) under control with medication.

Also I'd look into SIBO:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/...erial_overg.htm

Poor guy I hope you can figure out what's bothering him.
Wow!

I really appreciate the information! I'll be sure to mention both to my vet tomorrow.

Thanks again!!!

-Emt1581

"Sheep fear the sheepdog because it is not a sheep, but when the wolves come around the sheep all cower behind the sheepdog"~LTC Dave Grossman, RANGER, Ph.D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

I hope it's not EPI or SIBO in such a young pup!

Have you tried cooking a bland diet for your dog? Has your dog been tested for giarddia? That is something that a puppy could get.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

His fecal sample four days ago was 100% clear/healthy.

I'm not sure if Giarddia is part of what the tests look for but but when I heard the test was negative (compared to last time where he had the hookworm/coccidia) I was happy and figured he just needed to get used to a normal food...and yes, he was on a bland diet for the past 3-4 weeks off and on. In other words, he would have loose stools so we'd give him just boiled chicken/rice. Then they'd firm up and we'd start mixing in pro-plan puppy chicken/rice a little at a time with the bland diet. Then once he was back on 100% pro-plan he'd get loose stools again. This would start the cycle all over again. He was on a bunch of meds. Two that come to mind are the sulfacilicide and flagyl. His last sulf. pill is tomorrow. I've been giving him the flagyl at the request of my vet and another vet at the practice was only too happy to give me more but again, it just seems like a band-aid, not a cure.

I'm going to mention the two mentioned already (EPI/SIBO) to my vet. She's a good doc. It was a slow/frustrating road to recovery with our chinchilla (had to force feed/hydrate) but she pulled through and is full of piss and vinegar still today! So if this is just a slow recovery (BUT FROM WHAT?!?!?) fine, if not, and it's a life-long thing...I'm not really sure where to go with that.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Before you do the very expensive tests for SIBO and EPI, ask your vet if she tested her for giarrdia. There is a dog on here who had off and on diarrhea forever and then finally got tested for giarrdia and it was positive.

Btw, I've never heard of SIBO in such a young pup so I don't know how likely that would be.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowBefore you do the very expensive tests for SIBO and EPI, ask your vet if she tested her for giarrdia. There is a dog on here who had off and on diarrhea forever and then finally got tested for giarrdia and it was positive.

Btw, I've never heard of SIBO in such a young pup so I don't know how likely that would be.
Is Giarddia easy to cure?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

Yes it would be and with all of your pups other problems I would not be surprised if he had that too!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html

I just read the above link and notice that it says to treat with panacur. I believe you already did that, right?

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Giardia is not always the easiest to catch. The virus doesn't shed all the time, so one test may be nothing and the next one maybe the one to see the virus shedding.

I wish Barb E would post. She had several fecal's done on her dog all came back negative, but she had the vet do the Angient Test and bango there was the Giardia.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure we did. It was a 10 day script. TINY white pills broken in half (if that helps).

Plus we used some white powder sprinkled on his food 1g a day for three days...come to think of it I think THAT ws the panacur.

So he couldn't really have the giarddia then right?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page