Bella doesnt seem to be interested in food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Bella doesnt seem to be interested in food

I think everything is ok but this is a first for me so i need some advice or maybe just reassurance. Kahn my 2yr old GSD eats every meal he is given and finishes everything even as a pup as does Mika.. they both never turn down food... so Bella... she is different. I know that every dog is but like i said i just need reassurance.
We feed her a quarter cup of eukanuba large breed puppy food three times a day. She ate real well the first two days home , ate every meal.. slowly but finished each meal time. (we have had her for 5 days now) but the past few days.. she wont seem to eat at lunch time.. and not much at dinner. She does eat in the morning but gets distracted like there is better things to do. So.. to me it looks like she has gotten skinnier but i dunno. I am not used to my dogs refusing food. She just sniffs it and thats about it. However her energy is still high... her poops are solid and she is not vomiting so i think she is ok? we called our breeder because again.. this is new to us. He has cut her down to feeding twice a day to see if we can build up her appetite. Its been a bit harder to train her too because i use peices of her kibble to train with but she doesnt always seem interested in it. So its been a challenge but one i can get over. I just hope this is normal?

**Kristin**
-------
I love my babies, two GSDs Canyoncrest Kahn 5/22/06
and Canyoncrest Bella 8/1/08 , and My rescued girl Mika Husky Rott mix 9/1/05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Bella doesnt seem to be interested in food

Have you considered switching food? Is she eating the same thing that Ron was feeding her? Do you feed her plain dry kibble or do you put something on it?

Are you crate training her? If so I would put her in her crate to eat. That way there WON'T be anything more "fun" to do. I have had puppies that were the same way, they would rather play than eat, but if they were crated, they learned that there wasn't anything else to do, so they ate their food.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 AM

If she seems healthy otherwise, maybe you could put something on it to make it more interesting. I give Ruger a little spoonful of Sweet Potato baby food mixed in his kibble. I've never had a picky eater so I'm not a lot of help!

Terri

Ruger vom Kraftwerk- Black GSD 5/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Terri I think she is ok.. I think she just gets bored easily. Things are more fun around her.
She is pretty healthy otherwise... besides the Parvo she had at 7 weeks. She finished all her antibiotics for that last night.
Because she had parvo.. I watch her like a hawk.. and I naturally worry.
Thanks Tracy I was thinking about trying to feed her in her crate. I have never had a phinicky eater like this before. It is the same food that Ron fed her and its just dry kibble. So i dunno.. i think and hope she is ok.. she has a 10 week vet appt on thursday.

**Kristin**
-------
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Crowned Member

IF she just isn't a good eater, you might want to consider feeding her something with more calories. The "recommened" amount of that food, for a puppy her size is more than double what she is getting.(Of course that is just a guideline, NOT set in stone.) I know at least 3 of her 1/2 broters and sister were eating 3 cups a day at that age. They were also eating kibbles that had more calories.

As long as she is acting the same, I wouldn't worry. (I know "easier said than done". )

But she DOES need to eat, so the crate might help.

Tracy

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks.. i will try crate feeding and if that is a no go then i will try a different higher calorie food perhaps. The thing i did notice is that when she was eating three times a day by her evening feeding her belly was huge looking compared to her body.
I try the crate .. and go from there..

**Kristin**
-------
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Crowned Member

euk is not a very high quality food, she might like another brand of food better???

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

Has Bella been wormed lately? (The "big belly" makes me wonder.)

Tracy

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM

[quote=
She is pretty healthy otherwise... besides the Parvo she had at 7 weeks. She finished all her antibiotics for that last night.
Because she had parvo.. I watch her like a hawk.. and I naturally worry.
[/quote]

Her problem could be from having the parvo, I have had two dogs that had it and I nursed them both back from it! My pomarainian had it at 6 months old, and my beagle/husky had it when he was 6 months old and somehow someway i did get them out of it!

Parvo is a very serious disease and it attacks just about everything in there body, so it could be that she is just a finiky eater because of that. Although once they have it they are immuned to it for life! I have always said that parvo to a dog is like aids to a human, it takes everything out of them and once over it i believe they have to learn how to manage everyday life all over again.

My one year old gsd is very picky about his food so i started adding some can food, just a couple spoonfuls and just a cap full of olive oil and he eats it up in a hurry! it almost scares me that hes going to get choked he eats so fast!

Anyway hope that helps and GOOD LUCK! im in the process of trying the pinnacle dog food, everyone on here says that it is awsome food for there girl or boy! may be worth a shot for her also!

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page