so what else can i give - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

so what else can i give

im looking for a quick recipe/food that i could give tyson. its not that i think he should eat more or that his food isnt good enough, i would just like to make things a bit more interesting for him. right now i give him 1/4 cup of outmeal with his food once a day to help him with his sensative (sp) belly. so if any of u raw feeding folks could give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: so what else can i give

Given the fact that he has a sensitive stomach, go slowly with whatever you are adding. Don't give him a bunch of strange new foods or you may get him out of whack.

If "bland" foods are what you think is best for him (since you say the oatmeal is working well), then you could also try:

cooked rice (white or brown rice, cooked til mushy)
cooked potatoes
cooked sweet potatoes

Or...you might also try adding small amounts of cooked (or raw)meat to his food:
chicken meat
hamburger meat
ground turkey
canned fish

No cooked bones, ever.

cooked or raw eggs.

Small amounts of cooked or mashed veggies --pretty much anything except NO onions, grapes, or raisins.

Or--if you are just adding a small amount of something to make his food interesting, how about getting some wet canned dog food? It comes in lots of flavors, and you can just open the can, plop on a spoonful and make a gravy for his kibble.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

raw eggs, rice, yogurt. Ivy is on raw and those are some extra things I add to her food about once or twice a week and she loves them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlGiven the fact that he has a sensitive stomach, go slowly with whatever you are adding. Don't give him a bunch of strange new foods or you may get him out of whack.

If "bland" foods are what you think is best for him (since you say the oatmeal is working well), then you could also try:

cooked rice (white or brown rice, cooked til mushy)
cooked potatoes
cooked sweet potatoes

Or...you might also try adding small amounts of cooked (or raw)meat to his food:
chicken meat
hamburger meat
ground turkey
canned fish

No cooked bones, ever.

cooked or raw eggs.

Small amounts of cooked or mashed veggies --pretty much anything except NO onions, grapes, or raisins.

Or--if you are just adding a small amount of something to make his food interesting, how about getting some wet canned dog food? It comes in lots of flavors, and you can just open the can, plop on a spoonful and make a gravy for his kibble.

i did forget to mention that i do give him raw eggs, shell and all. i have noticed as far as giveing him raw meat that he gets diahrea (sp) really bad and that cooked meat seems to agree with him better. on the other hand thank u for the "recipe list"

steve

"h*ll on wheels"

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDTrainraw eggs, rice, yogurt. Ivy is on raw and those are some extra things I add to her food about once or twice a week and she loves them.
as far as yogurt, what brand would u go about getting??

steve

"h*ll on wheels"

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

For extras I feed:

preprepared raw
smushed up hardboiled eggs
canned salmon
canned sardines
low fat cottage cheese
whole grain bread
sweet potatoes
fresh chicken

I actually give my dogs yoghurt with their raw snack every night. I give them non-fat, organic yoghurt. Just be sure the yogurt you're giving doesn't have a bunch of crap in it.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Banned

we don't feed raw but we do spike their food.
cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast or thighs
organic-plain yogurt
raw 100% ground beef
brown rice and chicken (when sick mainly)
quinoa
canned Wellness
Wellness dry

we mix and match the above items when feeding.
table scraps depending on what it is. our GSD likes to pull cucumbers off the vine and eat them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

What are you feeding him? Is it simply that he doesn't like his food? (or is there something else going on)? Sometimes, if we're feeding commercial food and the dog doesn't really like it, it's better to change to another food, one that he finds more palatable.

I know, with a dog with a sensitive stomach, that's not as easy as it sounds. (That's why I asked what you're feeding him). But it might be better in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page