Is it common for a pup to eat almost all the time? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Is it common for a pup to eat almost all the time?

My vet told me to feed the dog 3/4 cup 3 times a day. The first day or two he was really sick so he barely ate anything. But the last few days he's eating like a horse. We put about 1/2-3/4 cup of food in his dish and he gobbles it up immediately. We did this 3 or 4 times today!!

We know he has hookworm and some other parasite (he's taking Flagl and some other meds for the digestive/bug issues)...but could he have a tape worm or something else that's making him eat this much or is it normal for a puppy to eat a lot?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

"Sheep fear the sheepdog because it is not a sheep, but when the wolves come around the sheep all cower behind the sheepdog"~LTC Dave Grossman, RANGER, Ph.D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Re: Is it common for a pup to eat almost all the time?

When we got our puppies we let them eat as much as they wanted 3 times a day. When they left their food dish I took it up.

It sounds like total you're feeding 2-3 cups a day...which doesn't sound like too much to me...but I'm not a 100% sure since I didn't pay too much attention to how much they ate when they were small. I'm sure someone else will have more info to share.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Some pups are picky eaters, others have bottomless stomachs. Diabla, once a little pup ate as much that she felt like crap, and still would had accepted a treat if offered. A couple of weeks ago (once is an accident, twice is a stupid owner... me) she ran into the emergency food bag I have in case of earthquake and ate the food of three days as if nothing... and then received her breakfast.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

How old is the pup? We always let our pups eat as much as they wanted when they were little. Also any kind of worm will make them eat more, because the worms are taking the nutrition from the pup. Maybe next time you go to the vet you need to voice your concerns about it? Goodluck!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Yesterday he ate so much he staggered then fell over...

We thought it was hilarious!

Now we're wondering if it's normal or if he's got a tapeworm or something?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

"Sheep fear the sheepdog because it is not a sheep, but when the wolves come around the sheep all cower behind the sheepdog"~LTC Dave Grossman, RANGER, Ph.D
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Some dogs don't know when to stop and will eat until they make themselves sick. I'd start rationing his food, eating all the time like that can cause stomach upset. Big, smelly soft poops would indicate too much food.

Max three cups of food per day perhaps? Doesn't sound like what you are feeding him is too much. I also read that feeding too much causes them to grow too fast which can lead to Pano and other developmental problems.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

the pup we have now we feed 1&1/2 cups twice a day. we got him at 9 weeks old, he's now 15 months old and we feed him the same amount. my last Shep (25 years ago) was fed the same amount. the difference was, the breeder suggested imediately after feeding fill his bowl with kibble. her theory was the pup will get use to having food and won't over eat. if i remember correctly he didn't over eat. there was always some kibble in the bowl.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN
Re: Is it common for a pup to eat almost all the t

My dog would be happy to gorge herself most of the day if not all the day. She is the most food motivated dog ever.
So, I think that it depends on the dog.

~Tiffany
"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation"~from 'Looking for Angels' by Skillet
Rest in peace, Cookie
(1998-2011)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Well the vet told us to just leave the bowl on the ground all day and, as long as he's not eating an over abundance of food, to keep giving him food.

I'm going to have to find out what over abundance means for a puppy.

Maybe this is normal but it seems like he has the munchies or a tape-worm...

Thanks!

-Emt1581

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: emt1581Well the vet told us to just leave the bowl on the ground all day and, as long as he's not eating an over abundance of food, to keep giving him food.

I'm going to have to find out what over abundance means for a puppy.

Maybe this is normal but it seems like he has the munchies or a tape-worm...

Thanks!

-Emt1581
I would discurage you from leaving food down all day. I just think that is a bad idea. There are several considerations here:

- You want to get a schedule/routine down with your pup. Feeding at specific times is one of thoese routines.

- Having the puppy eating at specific times can also assist you in gauging potty times.

- It is easier to gauge and adjust how much your dog is eating.

- You could also set a little training time around the food bowl.

I understand you have a few other things going on at the moment, but you really should think about sticking to a schedule on the feeding.

I fed Lancer between 2-3 cups of food daily split between two meals when he first came home. As indicated from previous posts amounts vary between puppies. The type of food is another item that can affect the amount fed.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page