Different Feeding Area For New Pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Different Feeding Area For New Pup?

Well I've never been able to have two dogs at once before, but we're bringing our new pup home in 2 weeks! I'm starting to get our home ready now, cleaning up, moving fragile things out of the way, moving wires & tying them up, etc. We had a foster dog in the house for 3 weeks before, and we had to separate the two when we fed them, because one was on a different food, and the two kept going and eating each others foods, which resulted in a little bit of stomach issues (diareah). I know we are going to feed them separatly, but should we put the new dog's food in a different area? We currently feed Katie in our kitchen, I could either put the pup's food in a different part of the kitchen or possibly the dining room area. Just wondering what I should do? Thanks!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Different Feeding Area For New Pup?

Many people separate their dogs for feeding to prevent problems, often in their respective crates. But if your current dog does not have guarding issues, you can do what I did when I brought home a puppy when Dena was 13 months old. I've always had my dogs sit or down and wait until released to eat, so I started Keefer out doing that too. I fed them side by side, and for the first few months I waited and watched while they ate to make sure that nobody tried to steal the other's food or got guardy. By supervising mealtimes I could teach them what was acceptable, interceding if necessary, and now that they are adults, they will eat side by side with no issues whatsoever, and I don't need to stay and watch them eat. I put the bowls down release them, and walk away.

If you think it might be a problem, separating them is safest. But as long as the current dog is pretty good and they are getting along well, my inclination would be to train them to eat nicely together. You can always go to plan B if necessary. But that's just me, you know your dog best!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

the 3 current members of our pack eat side-by-side-by-side. It's been like this from the beginning because we don't tolerate any guarding, stealing or growling during meal time. Just like the human members, they eat together as a family and must be polite during meal time. Dieter always finishes his food first and knows to go lay down by the door while the other 2 eat (we have an omega dog with us right now and he picks at his food until D is done and walks away...not ideal, but keeps the peace).

The worst thing he does is, after the other 2 have finished eating, he sneaks over to try to finish what ever the other kids left in their bowls. Usually, we're cleaning up human dinner dishes at the same time, so I look into the mud room and D is in there with a mouthful of food. It's not really funny, but when I tell him "Eh, eh, leave it alone", he spits out the rest of the food in mouth (on the rug, of course!) and lays down at his spot again and heaves a huge sigh like I'm the meanest mom in the world

Seriously though, I agree with Cassidy's Mom. As long as you don't have guarding issues to deal with, I think it's great to have everyone eat together. It will help the pup learn the ropes and help everyone bond together.

~Sarah~

Mom to:
Dieter (GSD)
Mr. Bojangles (black DLH kitty)
Ginger (baby blk & gray tabby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterThe worst thing he does is, after the other 2 have finished eating, he sneaks over to try to finish what ever the other kids left in their bowls. Usually, we're cleaning up human dinner dishes at the same time, so I look into the mud room and D is in there with a mouthful of food. It's not really funny, but when I tell him "Eh, eh, leave it alone", he spits out the rest of the food in mouth (on the rug, of course!) and lays down at his spot again and heaves a huge sigh like I'm the meanest mom in the world
Too funny! Neither of mine leave any food behind, but still, their post meal ritual is to switch bowls when they've finished and lick out any remaining (imaginary?) specs that the other dog may have missed.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterThe worst thing he does is, after the other 2 have finished eating, he sneaks over to try to finish what ever the other kids left in their bowls. Usually, we're cleaning up human dinner dishes at the same time, so I look into the mud room and D is in there with a mouthful of food. It's not really funny, but when I tell him "Eh, eh, leave it alone", he spits out the rest of the food in mouth (on the rug, of course!) and lays down at his spot again and heaves a huge sigh like I'm the meanest mom in the world
Too funny! Neither of mine leave any food behind, but still, their post meal ritual is to switch bowls when they've finished and lick out any remaining (imaginary?) specs that the other dog may have missed.
that is funny! our 2 do the exact same thing!
They eat side by side as well, so agree with what CM was saying above..

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

Thank you for the answers, Katie didn't guard her food at all, in fact, its kind of hard to get her to eat sometimes! But we will work on getting them to eat with each other in peace

And thats too funny about the dog spitting out the food!! Not fun to clean up, but funny none the less! Sounds like a character!!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to KohleePiper

My dogs eat together always and have done this since I brought each one of them home. No guarding allowed and I'm there to make sure they all eat in their bowls and not steal.

I also pet and fluff them when they were little to make sure they don't get aggressive and are used to being touched while eating. I did this because someday I'm going to have kids and don't want any problems.

I'm currently doing this with Diesel since he's the newest puppy and has a lot to learn! LOL

Jessica

Diesel - GSD Sable 09/2008
Kohlee - Belgian Groenendael 02/2007
Piper - Pit/GSD mix 08/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page