Choosing a puppy food... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Choosing a puppy food...

Me and my boyfriend are going to be bringing our new puppy home soon (about 2 weeks) and I wanted to make sure she would be eating a balanced diet when she gets here.

At the moment we are leaning towards Taste of the Wild. We also looked at Orijen, Instict, Innova EVO, and a couple of others at the local Earth Pets market.

Although some may have great success with other brands, we are not looking into any commercial pet store or grocery store brands for our baby.

Does anyone have experience with the brands I named above? Do you think TOTW would be a good choice?

The only concern I have is the high protein content of some of the brands and some of the others have very high fat content. Both of her parents were pretty big (80-95 lbs) so I want to make sure she doesn't grow too quickly.

Thanks,
Jennifer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Choosing a puppy food...

Orijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

The others are all good foods but I think Orijen is your best choice. I have also fed TOTW and Instinct.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOrijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

The others are all good foods but I think Orijen is your best choice. I have also fed TOTW and Instinct.
Do you mean "puppy" or "LARGE BREED puppy"?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOrijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

Do you mean "puppy" or "LARGE BREED puppy"?
Unless they're getting a mini gsd I think Large Breed Puppy would be the obvious choice! I see you've explained that below though so maybe we can delete these two middle posts?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Jennifer,

A lot of folks (and even some grain free kibble makers) consider the grain free kibbles to not be the best choice for large breed puppies due to the high cal/phos amounts. Orijen Large puppy is the only one with cal/phos in the levels that a lot of people are confortable with.

Though I will say that there is at least one board member that feeds TOTW to puppies and says she has had no problems.

Tracy

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

before getting a food and giving it to the pup as soon as it gets home you should be feeding it what the breeder is giving it, a puppy needs to stay on what it is used to and switched slowly, at first it will be stressed from leaving what it knows to a strange place and then giving it new food right off the bat will just stress it systems. I would keep it on what its used to for a couple of weeks until things settle then introduce the new food slowly by mixing it with its old food.

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

Not necessarily. A lot of people don't buy into the whole "large breed" puppy food idea. But still feel the need to use puppy food. And not all stores carry both formulas, so someone may not know there is even a LB puppy formula available.

Tracy

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mkennelsbefore getting a food and giving it to the pup as soon as it gets home you should be feeding it what the breeder is giving it, a puppy needs to stay on what it is used to and switched slowly, at first it will be stressed from leaving what it knows to a strange place and then giving it new food right off the bat will just stress it systems. I would keep it on what its used to for a couple of weeks until things settle then introduce the new food slowly by mixing it with its old food.

Tracy

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

mKennels - Well, we already know about the switching foods over gradually, as this is not our first puppy, thanks though!

BlackGSD - what would you recommend?

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

It's up to you. If I was going to feed a rain free to a puppy, it would probably be the Orijen Large puppy. (But I don't feed grain free.)

All you can do is research and decide what YOU think is best for you and your pup. (And hope that it works for your pup.) Because no matter WHAT you feed, there will be people that don't agree with it.

Just keep in mind that just because YOU think a food is good or the "right one" doesn't mean your pup/dog will do well on it. You need to give a kibble a chance, but dont' be afraid to change if it isn't working out.

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page