help figuring which new food item doesn't agree - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

help figuring which new food item doesn't agree

We've only had Cassie close to 3 weeks. She's about 8 months old and in good health (though dry coat/skin which we are working on). We'd finally started doing better on the loose stools from switching her gradually from the pedigree she was on to the Premium Edge Skin and Coat Salmon, Potatoes & Vegetables Formula. She gets some pumpkin in her food every meal.

This morning she had a big case of the runs. The only two things different yesterday were some new treats and a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble. She had had peanut butter before (though a different brand Jif, because it was all we had left in the house. This one was whole Foods organic.)

She might have had 1/4 or less of the liver treats during training sessions yesterday.

Here are the two ingredient lists. I wonder if someone who knows more than me could take a look and see if they can figure out the culprit? For today, she gets none of either until things firm up again.

liver treat
http://www.bowwownies.com/browniemix.htm

peanut butter
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...t-butter-16-oz

Or could it be the pumpkin? We just added it 4 days ago and it seemed to do its job firming things up but - ack - it is so hard to tell.

thanks.

Susan
~~~~~~~~
Zoey, white GSD, 9/1/11
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: help figuring which new food item doesn't agre

Hi Susan,

It's impossible to tell what could be the problem just from looking at those ingredients. It could be a lot of things, actually, even the new food. One of my gsds had digestive issues and every time I would switch him to a new food he would be fine for a little while and them, bam, diarrhea again. It turned out it wasn't the food at all but he actually had SIBO. I switched him over to a really good grain free food and put him on digestive enzymes and probiotics and he was like a new dog!

My current guy had all kinds of problems when I initially adopted him too. I finally figured out that he couldn't handle foods that were high in fat. So no more peanut butter for him!

If she continues to have problems you may want to have the vet runs some tests. She could have giardia or any number of things.

You could also try putting her on a grain free food and adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to see if that helps. You could even try the latter two without switching foods to see if things firm up for her.

Good luck--we all understand the frustrations of the gsd intestinal track!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Sorry you are having troubles! I can not give pumpkin or peanut butter to Chaos - gives him pudding poo. I also have to really watch his treat intake; he gets really runny after a training session with alot of treats.

I've been giving him cherrios that are mixed with chicken broth and frozen into a kong; and some low-fat cream cheese smeared around the opening to get him "started".

Mocha's Royal Misha, CGC - June 2005
Chaos vom Haus Wilton, CGC - September 2007

Heidi, GSD - RIP

Natasha, GSD - RIP

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Ruth, especially about the fact that there could be a third non-dietary factor going on.

I have dogs with sensitive tummies, and whenever I change any foods, I try to change one ingredient at a time, if possible. And I always watch fat content.

It could also simply be the amount of food. If she ate more than usual, that would do it -- especially in a puppy. Over-consumption is probably the #1 cause of diarrhea in pups.

However I will add that liver is notorious for causing pudding poo. What looks like a perfectly reasonable amount of liver is far too much. What seems like a little bit will often still cause diarrhea. It seems like liver was created just to cause us problems. If anything, I'd start there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all.

Wow - I thought I was being careful but I will be even more so....one at a time. I was trying to come up with some "smelly treats" for a high value reward, hence the liver.

I had never heard of SIBO, had to go look it up, so this is good to know too. DH said that she got a slightly larger dinner last night plus training session treats so that might have been the case - just too much food. She had a bad case of the runs early this morning but she just pooped a bit ago and things were firm again.

It's been so many years since I had a new dog, let alone one that liked to eat (you wouldn't believe what we went through to get my Border Collie to eat) that I forgot a lot of the basics.

I've printed out these notes and will add just one thing at a time.

Love the chicken broth soaked cheerios idea!

I'm also up for changing her food but man, I've spent hours looking at the dog food recommendations and to be honest, they make my head about want to to explode. She has really dry skin/dull coat right now so we are trying to fix that with this food.

thanks again, everyone, for the info.

Susan
~~~~~~~~
Zoey, white GSD, 9/1/11
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12

Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page