Down to 2 Meals a Day for Thunder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Down to 2 Meals a Day for Thunder

Hi There!

We are wondering if now that Thunder is 4 months old, if its a good idea to cut him down to 2 meals a day? He has been on 3 until now, and whilst its not causing issues, I hear 2 meals is better for him?

The question is, should I just do it one day, or wean him down to it, by increasing his 2 meals (8 and 8) and then making his lunch meal smalller?

Any assistance appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Down to 2 Meals a Day for Thunder

I think he's at a perfect age to back up to 2 meals a day. I know I do it around 12 weeks and my dogs have done fine .

I wouldn't get too crazy about the every 12 hours thing either when you go to twice a day. I know I feed in the morning after I'm up and showered. And then later at night around 6? So depending on my evening and dinner schedule they usually eat first so I get it out of the way, but it varies. So sometimes they have a 10 hour split and sometimes it's 12.

Frankly, I've found varying it is helpful because there's no real timer on my dogs or expectation as far as a 'clock' goes. They DO cue on my behavior and what I'm doing. But if I sleep in late, they are fine. If I get home late, they are fine. Just when I start making the 'getting the meals ready motions' they get all excited and ready to eat.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Master Member

Re: Down to 2 Meals a Day for Thunder

I second the motion, I always did two meals with Baron and he was fine with that. He would scarf his food as a baby but now he's slowing down. I started getting up earlier when I got him so he would get his meal around 5am then when I got home I would feed him around 3:30. By getting up at 5 this gave me a couple hours to be with him and wear him out. Then after I left for work my wife would get up and play with him for a while/bathroom breaks. Then I would slide in from work on lunch break if I could to play some more and give a snack like baby carrots when he was old enough. He seemed to do ok.

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page