Puppy will not eat. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Puppy will not eat.

Please help, my 9 1/2 week old puppy eats very little. At 8 weeks she weighed 8.2 lbs according to the vet. She was parasite free. I feed her Nutro Large Breed puppy food. She eats maybe a handful at a time always leaving food in her bowl. I feed her 3 times a day. She is getting taller but is skinny. Last night I fed her a Nutro pupp packet of food. She ate the whole thing, but it upset her stomach (which I was expecting that). Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Puppy will not eat.

have you talked to your breeder? Maybe soak some of the food just before feeding. I would also give a spoonful of yogurt, see if she will eat that.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Knighted Member

That's a tough question. How is her energy level? She should be into everything exploring her surroundings. I find that if my dog gets a lot of exercise, she is more likely to eat.

It's hot here in GA and my dog doesn't have a large appetite.

It's also possible she doesn't like the food because it upsets her stomache. You consider switching to something else.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

How long have you had her for? Could it be she is just adjusting to her new environment?

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

Does she eat treats? Are you feeding her treats? (she might be holding out for them...)

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Energy level is high. She can chase a ball all day. I think I will switch the food. I was looking at the Pro Plan sensitive stomach. Do you have any comments on this brand?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I wouldn't feed a "sensitive stomach" food to a dog that didn't need it. (I also wouldn't necessarily feed a food that is made of one of the "exotic" protiens, i.e. Salmon, Duck, Venison, ect..)

You might consider feeding something that is higher in calories if she is just not a good eater. That way she will need to eat less to get the same calories per day.

Is she just not a good eater, or is it that she would rather play than eat?

I have had puppies that were more interested in playing than eating. But if they were crated with their food they WOULD eat since they didn't have anything else to do.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Master Member

Nutro recently has had some very serious problems with their food. I would get her off this food right away.
Take a look at consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.

I would give her either cooked or raw gound beef I prefer raw and cooked brown rice mix it together till you can find a puppy food your happy with.
I would recommend Orijen.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't feed raw unless you're sticking to raw. If you cook it for a minute or two, that's different. I used to feed orijen but it was too pricey. If you can afford it, by all means, it''s a great food, it not, you may want to consider Solid Gold, or a brand of similar quality.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page