Feeding Guidelines from puppy to adult - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Feeding Guidelines from puppy to adult

I feed both pups Canidae ALS and they've done very well on it. I was reading the back of the bag to make sure I am feeding them the correct amount.

I noticed that for feeding puppies, it says up to 6 months and between 50 and 75 pounds, they should get 4 to 5 cups per day.

Chevy is almost 7 months, would I go by the "adult" guidelines (50-75lbs, 2-3 cups) now? Two to three cups a day just doesn't seem like enough. He is very active, not overweight and eats all of his food (3c in the am and 2c in the pm).

Here's a link to see the guidelines: Canidae ALS

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Elite Member

Re: Feeding Guidelines from puppy to adult

WHOA. I feed my 5 month old a total of 3 cups of Canidae ALS a day, plus peanut oil. (she had itchy skin) and some sprinkles of freeze dried liver. she is growing strongly, but not too quickly, and she is definitely not skin and bones, either.

I think you have to watch your dog... is he growing too fast? getting too fat? (reduce). Is he losing weight? (give more)

But maybe someone else can offer more definite guidelines.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I have never paid any attention to feeding guidelines on dog food bags. They are averages at best, and don't take into account important factors like individual metabolism, activity level, and growth rate. IMO, there is no formula or strict guideline for how much is appropriate for a pup of a specific age. It varies widely from pup to pup based upon many factors.

The surest way to gage weight and know if food needs to be increased or reduced is the Rib Test – standing over the dog, run your hands down his sides from front to back. If you cannot easily feel the ribs, he needs to lose a few pounds. If the dog feels boney, you can see the ribs, or the spine is pronounced, he’s too thin and you need to feed more. If you can easily feel the ribs without trying hard, but the dog doesn’t have a boney feel or appearance, things are just right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I use the bag as a starting point only. Like Chris, I'm constantly running my hands down their sides and adjusting the quantity if necessary. Just because the bag says I should be feeding more, or even if they seem hungry and WANT more, are not good reasons to increase the quantity. Your dog's condition is the best indication that you are feeding properly, or need to feed more or less than you currently are.

Also, at 7 months old your pup's growth rate is starting to slow and you may need to start cutting back how much you feed or he'll get chubby, so it's particularly important to keep an eye on his condition at this stage of development.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the feedback. He's definatly not overweight. I took him to the vet today for his heartworm test (negative!) and he weighs 56.7 pounds which is about six pounds less than average. He doesn't feel boney or look scrawny but I will ever-so slightly start cutting the amount down a tad because an overweight pup is not what I want.

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page