New puppy-advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

New puppy-advice?

I have an eight week old GSD puppy. His breeder had him on Purina puppy chow but I want to switch him over to Nutro Natural Choice large breed puppy. I bought a small bag of the Purina to mix in with the NNC and am gradually making a change over. So, here are the questions. What are your thoughts on NNC large breed puppy? At what age should I change him over to an adult feed? When I do switch, should it be to the large breed formula or one of the others such as lamb & rice?

I started my border collie on Canide all life stages when I first got him as a puppy, but since I have moved I can no longer buy it locally. I can buy the NNC 30 miles away at a Runnings fleet store. I have been looking for higher quality feeds in the area, but have found none so I plan on sticking with it as I have had good results in the past.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: New puppy-advice?

I fed the NutroNCLBPuppy to Onyx til she was six months. At that age she got panostietis, so I started researching diet. I would read some of the past threads on Nutro(do a search in the diet & nutrition section), and puppy food in general. Many opinions are to feed an adult blend from the beginning. Slow growth is what you want and grain free is better, some GSD's have allergies to certain grain fillers. I have fed raw since I took Onyx off the Nutro...and she had two more bouts of pano after that. She is large for a female 85# and 27" at 19 months not sure if diet played a part in this or not.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Knighted Member

I had Kayla on that when she was a pup. Made the switch when she 5.5 months to Nutro LB Lamb & Rece. Have switched several times using Royal Canin GSD formula, Nutro LB Lamb and Rice, and currently Canidae ALS. Have had no issues with any of the foods I have fed her.

My current pup (nine weeks tomorrow) is eating Nutro High Energy based on use and advice from his breeder. So he will not be on "puppy" food at all.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girl Slow growth is what you want and grain free is better
unfortunately, most of the grain free foods, in my opinion, are completely inappropriate for a growing pup due primarily to higher levels of calcium. several of them specifically warn against their grain free line to pups until they are over a year old. (wellness does this with their core line of food). imo, the grain free foods are just not designed to promote slow growth.

many people have used adult foods right from the get go. (canidae all life stages, for example, has given my pup nice slow, even growth since she was 8 weeks old up to her current 14 months)

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Knighted Member

not to insult your intelligence, as you have probably already tried this. here is the canidae sore locator:

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

i just threw that out ther since you had fed it before and seemd to like it. i imagine in N. Dakota choices are more limited for quality kibbles.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I have searched the Canidae database. The closest retailer is about 130 miles away. By the time I would get there and back with my truck I would have saved more money ordering online. Thanks though! I absolutely loved their food and have considered just buying it online.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: roxy84
Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girl Slow growth is what you want and grain free is better
unfortunately, most of the grain free foods, in my opinion, are completely inappropriate for a growing pup due primarily to higher levels of calcium. several of them specifically warn against their grain free line to pups until they are over a year old. (wellness does this with their core line of food). imo, the grain free foods are just not designed to promote slow growth.

many people have used adult foods right from the get go. (canidae all life stages, for example, has given my pup nice slow, even growth since she was 8 weeks old up to her current 14 months)

True most of them are like that but NB Potato and venison says on the package for adult dogs and growing puppies and the cal/phos levels are in check. Same with the orijen large breed puppy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

Have you checked with a feed store rather than a "pet store"? While they may not carry it, they might be able to order it for you and have it delivered with their regular shipment.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page