WHEN IT'S SAFE TO SWITCH TO GRAIN FREE? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

WHEN IT'S SAFE TO SWITCH TO GRAIN FREE?

Okay, I know that most of your are pro raw feed, and that's fine. However, I am more into dry kibble. I feed him Canidae ALS right now and he's doing great. I add salmon or cottage cheese to it to make it more interesting....But, I have an Orijen bag sitting there which I want to incorporate to his diet, not to substitute Canidae but to incorporate 1/2 and 1/2. I tried it one day and he went nuts...LOVED Orijen....I am just concerned that at 8 months it is just too much protein. What's your take as to this? Would it be ok to incorporate already? Please advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Re: WHEN IT'S SAFE TO SWITCH TO GRAIN FREE?

I would wait until your dog is at least 1 year old. 1.5 would be better.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

i don't think that there is any reason why puppies can't eat grain-free. lots of people raise their pups on raw right from being weaned (i know you don't want to feed raw; i'm just noting from a grain-free/higher protein perspective)

neb has been on a mix of orijen and raw (THK and homemade) since i brought him home a few weeks ago.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Hello from MASS., glad i found this site. I have two GSD a male who is 9yrs old and a female who is 6 yrs old.
She has always had a sensitive stomach and i have fed her Wellness Simple Duck and rice for about 3 yrs. No more stomach growling but a LARGE amount of stool and frequent. I am this week slowly switching her to BG salmon, she loves it. I am concerned about the 32% protein level. I work at a petshop supplier part time and we sell raw and other foods. I am still leary of raw, perhaps because i go to a traditional vet. I have heard pros and cons of raw and am finding it so hard to find the right food.
My male is on Science Diet ZD, i can hear the sighs but it has been the only food that has stopped the sores he would get all over his body. Tests show he has many allergies, including protein. He also has occasional seizures, poor baby but not frequent since on phenobarbitol. I had tried switching home to another food than SD and thats when the seizures started so im back to it. Could have been a coincidence but im afraid to try new foods on him.
I will let you know how the f does on BG but am hearing her stomach gurgle as i type. UGH I am introducing it slowly but this is so frustrating to find the right food. Every dog is different and I have worked at this shop long enough to see raw is good for some but not all and same with all the other foods it seems.
If anyone has had similiar situations and success with something please let me know. Hope this isnt too long for you that you lose interest in reading it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jarni don't think that there is any reason why puppies can't eat grain-free. lots of people raise their pups on raw right from being weaned (i know you don't want to feed raw; i'm just noting from a grain-free/higher protein perspective)

neb has been on a mix of orijen and raw (THK and homemade) since i brought him home a few weeks ago.
It isn't the protien in the grain free kibble that is the issue for puppies, it is the fact that the calcuim and phorphorus (sp) are too high. The only grain free I have seen with cal/phos within the recommended levels for puppies is the Orijen Large Breed puppy.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Elite Member

the regular orijen puppy also falls within the guidelines re: calcium and phosphorus that i've seen, as does THK embark (what i use) though i've yet to see guidelines that the protein from orijen, or THK would meet.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jarnthe regular orijen puppy also falls within the guidelines re: calcium and phosphorus that i've seen, as does THK embark (what i use) though i've yet to see guidelines that the protein from orijen, or THK would meet.
The regular Orijen puppy and Embark are higher than what I have read is the "ideal" calcuim %. Keep in mind, I am talking about a "large breed" puppy. What I have seen is that it is best if the calciim is less than 1.5%. Granted, neither of those products is much higher than that (both have 1/8% max.).

The Orijen LB puppy also has less fat than the "regular" puppy.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Knighted Member

i agree with BlackGsd. if i was determined to feed a grain free to a gsd puppy, orijen large breed puppy would be the only one i would feel comfortable with in regards to the levels of calcium and phosphorous.

ive seen no up to date research that indicates high protein levels would be detrimental for a large breed puppy.

my girl is 13 months old now, and im still more comfortable just leaving her on the canidae for a few more months.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

what are you both relying on to determine appropriate calcium and phosphorus levels? i've looked at the AAFCO standards, and both the regular orijen and THK embark are within their guidelines.

if there's another standard out there i'd be interested to see it - as i'm sure AAFCO is fairly industry-oriented, but i'm just not clear where you are drawing your information from.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes, I would like to get the correct info as well. What tables are they going by? Please elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page