Walking before breakfast. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Walking before breakfast.

Hi. We have a 6 month old male GS named Link. He is not overly hungry in the morning and since it should start getting warm here in the late morning early afternoon I was wondering if I can walk him before he eats breakfast and before it gets too hot. I don't know if it matters or not but he is 61.5 lbs.

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Walking before breakfast.

Link should be fine walking/exercising in the morning before breakfast. I usually take Kayla out for a walk or exercise before her meals. If she's running, I'll wait for a while afterwards before giving her meal.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

always exercise, walk, play, train etc. before feeding. after i feed my dogs i let them settle down for a few hours before any activities. i'm concerned about them bloating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Knighted Member

Yup exercise before food or 1 hour or more after food at the earliest, Jesse is not an eager eater in the mornings now since he turned 6 months so we have changed his feeding schedule to around noon first meal and last meal around 6 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. and final walk around 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.. He goes to bed around 10:00 p.m. and is able to hold himself till 8:00 a.m.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Elite Member

After I feed my girls, I always let them settle for a while before activity. Any activity is always done before meals, but they don't like early feedings either.

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

Yepp... after experimenting with both, we now walk my pup in the morning before her meal. She usually gets her business done during the walk so i don't have to worry about getting her outside right after she finishes eating.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sprzybylYepp... after experimenting with both, we now walk my pup in the morning before her meal. She usually gets her business done during the walk so i don't have to worry about getting her outside right after she finishes eating.
you do have to worry about getting her outside after her meal even though you just walked her.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadyou do have to worry about getting her outside after her meal even though you just walked her.
But if she consistently doesn't go why do i have to worry about getting her outside? What do you mean by that?

When we tried the feed first then the walk, if I didn't get her outside IMMEDIATELY after she finished eating, we'd have a mess on the floor. Now, I walk her before, crate her to eat, not worry about the "immediacy" and go get ready for work, then take her out right before i leave- no mess because she already went before the walk.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Your pup may have better control with age. At 16 weeks they usually know when they have to go and can hold it longer, unlike an 8-10 week old baby.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sprzybyl
Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadyou do have to worry about getting her outside after her meal even though you just walked her.
But if she consistently doesn't go why do i have to worry about getting her outside? What do you mean by that?

When we tried the feed first then the walk, if I didn't get her outside IMMEDIATELY after she finished eating, we'd have a mess on the floor. Now, I walk her before, crate her to eat, not worry about the "immediacy" and go get ready for work, then take her out right before i leave- no mess because she already went before the walk.
that's right, you took her out before feeding and after. so you might not be worried but you take the appropriate action. before feeding you take her out and afterwards. that's all i was saying. now by your own admission that's what you do. you take her out before feeding and afterwards. so what are you questioning? why do you crate her to eat??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page