post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

how many cups a day

how many cups a day do you feed your pup and how old is he or she
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: how many cups a day

As much as it takes to keep the pup at the correct weight.

I know 2 people that have littermate brothers. One feeds 3/4 cup 3 times a day. The other feeds 1 1/2 cups 2 times a day. The pups just turned 3 months old. It also REALLY depends on WHAT you feed. With some kibble, you have to feed twice as much to get the same result as another brand.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM

Link is 4 3/4 months and eats about 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 2 at night of Acana (Alberta, Canada made) large breed puppy kibble. He weighs 50.8 lbs

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

we brought our boy home at 9 weeks old. we gave him a cup and a 1/2 in the AM and a cup and a 1/2 in the PM. there's always a treat in between meals. around 4 months we started giving him two cups in the AM and two cups in the PM. he's 11 months old now and he weighs 87.5 lbs. and he's not fat. i think he's a little lean in the hind quarters. my GF thinks he's just right.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Knighted Member

My pups are all 1 c kibble and 1/3 can wet (just a bit for the taste) Twice daily...... Sometimes they aren't hungry for one meal and they leave it......
Other times they look for a bit more- when that happens I give them a bit of extra kibble ........

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Ivy eats 2 cups of food twice a day and she weighs about 75 lbs. She also gets treats and things in between.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

i always feed 3 times a day until they are around 6 months old. usually about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 cups three times a day all depending on the activity level, gender, size, etc. after 6 months i do two feedings a day about 1 1/2 cups, again it all depends on the size, activity level, etc.
i see some feeding 5-6 cups a day to pups. alot of poop to clean up.

url
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

I feed Avoderm and Suesse gets 3 cups a day, 1 1/2 in the morning and 1 1/2 in the evening and she is almost 11 months old.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

about a month ago my boy (10 months old) decided he didn't like his food. we switched, he ate it with vigor for a few days maybe a week and decided, "go and buy me something else i'm not eating this either". so i had to ask the pros. well they said nothing but water for 3 days no snacks, treats ect. and no food. it bothered me to do this but i did. eats like a champ now. i hope he doesn't stop eating again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Mandi eats about 1.5 cups in the morning (with gravy on it as the puppy canned food was upsetting her stomach) and about 1 - 1.5 cups in the evening (also with gravy). I try to use some of her food as treats when doing training, too, so that adds a little more as I try to do 3 or 4 5-10 minute sessions everyday. I am finding that at the beginning of the week she is more hungry than she is at the end of the week for some reason. I think she is a little on the thin side, but if she eats her food and wants more, I give it to her, and the vet said she is a good weight (at 13 weeks she was 26 lbs and she is just now 14 weeks so I will weigh her Saturday at puppy class) and that she will start to fill out after she is about a year or so.

-
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page