when to switch adult food..so confused - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

when to switch adult food..so confused

Hi everyone. Kenzo is 9 months old, and my trainer tells me to keep him on puppy food til he is 1 yo. I have read some posts, and lots of folks here switched to adult food at 4 months. Am I too late?. Have I screwed up with his development?. He is on solid gold wolf cub. I'm planning barking at the moon, or wolf king of solid gold as adult food. Which one should I use? Barking at the moon is for active dogs, grain-free and 41% protein. Since he is a very young dog ( still a baby though), is it ok to use such a food with high protein content? Please tell me something. I''m so confused. Thanks

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:17 AM

Re: when to switch adult food..so confused

Not an expert but, I had my girl Freyja on Wolf Cub until she was one year, then switched her to Wolf King. I personally would wait until 2 yrs for a grain free, to be sure your pup is done growing.

Don't worry I'm sure the experts will chime in tomorrow...

proudly owned and loved by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freyja -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

always and forever
from this life to the next
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 AM
Elite Member

A dog is a carnivour. Therefor, I would go for a carb-free kibble (if that exists), or at least a kibble with the most meat-parts and the least carbs (grains, potatoes, corn, etc). But personally, I would switch to raw feed. But if this is not what you wish, search for a good quality kibble, not made by Palmolive or Mars, or manufactured in China (!) but made by a company that produces kibble in the US. Also, check the anti-oxidants that are used in the kibble. Most anti-oxidants used in dog food are forbidden in our own food (poisoneous for us, but you can feed it to your dog!), like BHA and BHT.

Beau 5-7-1994 11-10-2006: Miss you, big guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Master Member

I switched Kodee to grain-free adult food at about 5 mos or so. He is doing great. He eats Orijen adult, and gets Salmon Oil and Vit E daily. His new vet (board cerified and very well-respected in our area) says his joints all look/feel great so far. He was also impressed with his muscle tone and how he carries his muscle weight in proportion to his frame.

Just do as much research as you can, and then decide based on what arguments make the most sense to you. That's all you can do. There is no consensus out there on what's best - you are going to hear arguments for puppy vs. adult, grain-free vs. grains, no matter where/who you ask. Just use your best judgement. I personally felt the argument that dogs would not eat grain in significant amounts in the wild was a good argument. Pups in the wild get weaned onto meat/bone/organ. Other people would argue that pups in the wild don't do as well as dogs on dog food with grain, but I feel good about my decision. Kodee is thriving and happy and that's good enough for me. Good luck!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirlI switched Kodee to grain-free adult food at about 5 mos or so. He is doing great. He eats Orijen adult, and gets Salmon Oil and Vit E daily. His new vet (board cerified and very well-respected in our area) says his joints all look/feel great so far. He was also impressed with his muscle tone and how he carries his muscle weight in proportion to his frame.

Just do as much research as you can, and then decide based on what arguments make the most sense to you. That's all you can do. There is no consensus out there on what's best - you are going to hear arguments for puppy vs. adult, grain-free vs. grains, no matter where/who you ask. Just use your best judgement. I personally felt the argument that dogs would not eat grain in significant amounts in the wild was a good argument. Pups in the wild get weaned onto meat/bone/organ. Other people would argue that pups in the wild don't do as well as dogs on dog food with grain, but I feel good about my decision. Kodee is thriving and happy and that's good enough for me. Good luck!
I would research a lot before feeding an inmature pup a grain free diet.

I have to take my car in, but later I'll compare say Canidae all life stages vs Orijen.

KodeeGirl - Have you talked to an ortho vet about feeding a growing puppy grain free kibble?

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

So here is a comparison between Orijen Adult (Grain free) and Canidae all life stages

Orijen Adult (I have removed some items just to save space)
Guaranteed Analysis
Protein 42.0%
Fat 16.0%
Moisture 10.0%
Fiber 3.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.6%
Calcium (max.) 1.8%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.2%
Phosphorus (max.) 1.4%
4200 kcal/kg (483 kcal per 250ml cup)
http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...cts/adult.aspx

Canidae all life stages (I have removed some items just to save space)
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 14.50%
Moisture (min.) 10.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
Calcium (min.) 1.20%
Phosphorus (min.) .90%
Calculated Caloric Content
ME (kcal/kg) 4125
ME (kcal/g) 4.13
ME (kcal/lb) 1875
ME (kcal/cup) 468
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

Differences:
Protein +18%
Fat + 1.5%
Calcium +.5% (used an average of min/max for Orijen)
Phosphorus +.4% (used an average of min/max for Orijen)

Of course, since lines of thought change as we learn more and more and technology allows different means of study and communication there may come a time when they say no it's not protein level, it's not calcium, it's not phosphorus or calories, it's XXX.

With what we know right now, I wouldn't suggest feeding a growing GSD Orijen grain free. The makers of Wellness Core suggested not feeding Core to a puppy due to calcium at higher than 1.5% (Core is 2%)

I think it's a great food and one I may try with Dante down the line.

Just my $0.02 and time looking at foods and talking to dog food companies. I'm not a vet, don't even play one on t.v.

Dante - March 2004

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Good job barb, and another thing is on dogfoodanalysis.com they gave 4 star to solid gold wolf cub for including 1.5% calcium, but orijen has higher content of calcium and it is ok to give orijen to give 6 STARRR..This really annoyed me, I won't pay this much attention to that website anymore. But also you revealde this fact barb, you did what I couldn't)) Thanks

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Mai

Barb what do you think about people who feed their puppies raw? Isn't that grain free?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

Finding the right food for our dogs can be a lot of work!!
I find it fascinating to poke around, usually just need a reason to dig in (and the time).

The thing with food rating sites is that you can't compare a puppy food to a grain free food. I believe that grain free foods are great and for some dogs a better diet. That said, in my mind (and again I'm not a vet) they shouldn't be fed to a "large breed" puppy so they can't be compared straight across to an all stages food that has grain.

My all time favorite dog food website is: http://www.dogaware.com/

I moved Dante to an adult food at about 5 months.

Dante - March 2004

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaiBarb what do you think about people who feed their puppies raw? Isn't that grain free?
It is and I hope that those that feed puppies raw are balancing the diet appropriately, which it can be.
I am NOT against raw or grain free food, I think they’re both great.

Dante - March 2004

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page