Need a little advice... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Need a little advice...

Spartan is 11 weeks old now and growing like a weed!

I'm feeding raw (common sense brand) twice a day, which is something I've never done before. I've had three other shepherds in my life and we typically just kept a bowl of kibble available (all were active enough that getting overweight wasn't an issue).

So, my question is this: How do I know when to increase his food intake?! He always inhales his food, but seems fairly content afterward (unless there's other food available, like kitty food or people food). I uped his food intake pretty quickly after we brought him home because he always seemed to be starving.

I don't want him to be hungry all the time, but I also know that puppies can be greedy little creatures and I don't want him to get fat.

Heather -- Mom to:
Teal'c, a fawn pug
Squeeker, a Bengal cat,
Stormy, the Siamese mix, and
Spartan, the German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Elite Member

Re: Need a little advice...

if i left out the whole bag of kibble, Bear surely would have made an attempt to eat the whole bag! lol Puppies always seem to be hungry but as long as your following the basic guidlines on the bag and are watching his growth regularly you shouldnt have any problem with him becoming overweight.

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Need a little advice...

The basic rule of thumb when feeding raw is 10% of his 8 week old weight or 2-3% of his expected adult weight. Basically a puppy will eat the same amount of food as an adult just spread over 3 or so servings a day. My adult male (should be 85ish pounds) eats 2 to 2.5 pounds per day. This is not a prepackaged raw though but I dont think that makes a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page