Puppy Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Food

I will be the proud owner of an eight week old female German Shepherd puppy later this week. The breeder has told me she mixes science diet for large breed puppies and Pedigree One for German Shepherds. Well I found the science diet very easy. I am not having any luck finding the other. Any suggestions? Does it even exist???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Re: Puppy Food

Ask the breeder to give you a bag of the stuff to start out with. I'd stay away from Pedigree brand personally. Use it for a few days & then gradually just switch to a quality puppy large breed food. I use Royal canin 32 Large breed puppy. Royal Canin is a quality food with all the correct nutritional values.

Quantum Vom Haus Tyson (Call sign "Diego")
01-29-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

We are using Solid Gold Wolfcub for our 10week old girl. I wanted to stay away from the cheaper filler foods. We will be changing over to Orijen Red meat when she is older. I found a place that ships to us and isn't expensive as buying food here from the local stores. Ouch on the price difference from store to store!
I never heard of Purina ever having a breed specific food like Royal Canin does.
You can get info on dog foods at http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com I found it very helpful in helping me find a good for for my pup and also talking with other breeders and trainers.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Elite Member

I too fed my pups Solid Gold Wolfcub and thinks it's a wonderful product!! I would definitely feed that if you can find it. It's definitely worth it!

Congrats on your puppy!

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Knighted Member

Joe,

My suggestion would be to stay away of both foods that the breeder recommended. In my opinion, both are awful and I would not feed either one of them unless I had to. I like the solid gold foods, but there are others that are just as good. Take a look at the nutrition section further down the board and read up on all the kibble discussions so you can pick a food that your pup does well on and that you can find around you.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone. This forum is great and can't wait to post some pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page