is my puppy skinny? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

is my puppy skinny?

people have said my pup looks very thin. He is 4 months 20" at the shoulders and weighs 32lbs. This growth chart that said that 4 months male should be 42lbs: http://www.mygermanshepherdpuppy.com/. Is his height too tall for his weight or is he just a short pup? I've never had gsds before, when I told ppl in the dog park that he was four months, some of then thought he was small. When i got him at 12 weeks, he was only 14lbs and he looked Very skinny. He was from a reputable breeder too. I feed him 4 cups a day, now is that too little?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

Re: is my puppy skinny?

Hi new member!

They all grow at different rates, so it's hard to judge based on "the numbers."

Best way to tell is to feel the dog. If you can feel ribs, the weight is good. If you have trouble feeling them, too fat. If the ribs are so pronounced that you can see them, that may be too lean.

Looking at the dog from above, you should see a definite "waist."

Most people have fat dogs, so people are used to seing dogs that have too much weight on them. It is much healthier for your pup to be lean.

If you can post a picture of your pup, others here can offer an opinion based on that.

What does your vet say? What are you feeding?

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The only sure fire way to determine if a pup's weight is correct is the rib test. With your puppy standing, run your hands down his sides. If you can easily feel all of his ribs, but can't see them, he is at a good weight. If you can't feel his ribs, he's too heavy. If you can see his ribs clearly, he's too skinny.

I don't put much stock in growth charts. They are guesstimated averages at best and don't take into account that individual puppies grow at individual rates, some quicker than others.

Also don't listen to people who say a dog is too thin. Most dog owners tend to keep their dogs too fat, and therefore what most people seem to think is a good weight for a dog is actually too heavy. So to them, a dog who is at a healthy weight will often be considered "too thin".

The rib test is your best bet. Also, keep in mind that young dogs should be kept on the thin side. Carrying around extra pounds puts unnecessary stress on growing bones and joints. Thin is always better than fat for a puppy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Knighted Member

I aggree .........especially when it comes to long term hip and joint health in the German Shepherd........ If you really have concerns, consult your vet.........

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny

mine is 8 months and 85 lbs. Everyone says hes too skinny.

Get used to it. Lots of people are used to over weight doggies or little breeds.

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Elite Member

i agree with everyone else. most people think our dogs should LOOK plumped out which is not good. he sounds like he is going to be a big boy. as long as he is eating well, looks defined from above and his ribs and spine do not protrude i wouldnt worry to much as long as his vet says he is healthy.

I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who im not. An old shoshoni saying about loosing someone you love, MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND, NOW I MUST PICK IT UP AND MOVE ON
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Knighted Member

On top of all that's been said by others, puppies have tremendous growth spurts. One day they start to look a little pudgy even, and a few days later you can almost see ribs. As long as you cannot see all of his ribs in detail then you're fine. Healthy is the goal, and most keep their dogs way too fat. If I had a dime for every fat dog wearing a prong collar that needs about 4 links taken out of it clipped to the live ring I've seen I'd be rich!

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

Both of mine are too thin according to the average Joe.

My Flash was 34 pounds at 4 months and he's perfectly normal. Between fat dogs and the public's idea that a GSD is supposed to be over 100 lbs (and since you claim to have gone through a reputable breeder) get used to the comments for having a dog within standard.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Phazewolf Send a message via Yahoo to Phazewolf

My German shepherd is 58 pounds at 14 months and she is healthy. She may go up or down 1 pound or so if she is running a lot or playing for more then 4 hours a day and I will incress the food on the days she is going to play or run a lot.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Knighted Member

please, please, please do not get caught up in the numbers. i agree with everyone as far as keeping an eye on the ribs. if you keep your dog on the lean side, he will have a greater chance of living longer and having less stuctural problems. if he is eating a nutritious diet and is not being underfed (ribs being noticeably visible) then he will grow as he is genetically predisposed to. ive seen pics on this site where the dog was at least 20 lbs overweight and responders saying "id rather see the dog a little plump than too lean." thats bull***t advice.

im glad to see the responders on this particular thread giving sound advice regarding this matter. i have to bite my tongue every time i go to the vet as at least a half to two thirds of the dogs that come in are just too fat.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page