Some say 6 mos., petsmart clerk said 1 yr? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Some say 6 mos., petsmart clerk said 1 yr?

Okay, I am no vet or breeder. But, I have a 5 mo. old. Some say to change to adult food when pups turn 6 mos. A petsmart clerk just told me yesterday that they need the puppy food nutrition until they are 1 yr. old. Who to believe? Let me add I feed him the best....I just want to know when to switch. Also, does planning to neuter him @ 6 mos. or so make a difference? Logic tells me neutering him obligates switching to adult food. All you experts out there, HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Some say 6 mos., petsmart clerk said 1 yr?

I switched Dante when I brought him home at 4ish months.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

I can only tell you that both my dogs' breeders never feed puppy food at all. My vet doesn't advocate puppy food.

Just watch the quality of the food you choose.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

My pup was never on puppy food either..

With my very first shepherd I had, the vet I used then said to switch when the dog was 5-6 months old...

Now a lot of breeders, gsd fanciers don't ever use a puppy food..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah - mine are all 5-6 months when I get them into adult-
And I generally spay and /or neuter around 6-7 months......

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Master Member

Kodiak was never given puppy food. He is doing great on his adult Pinnacle. We followed the breeders recommendation.

Roseann

Arwen-GSD born 3-30-09
Kodiak CGC-GSD born 12-5-07
Rosie-draft cross mare

RIP My Dear Joshua 9/20/07-my buddy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Knighted Member

"Let me add I feed him the best"

just so you know, since some people think petsmart is the best place to buy dog food, they dont carry the foods that, by most standards, would be considered the best. dont get me wrong, they carry some ok foods that are better than the grocery store brands.
but comapnies like natura (innova), canidae, wellness, orijen and many of the other higher end companies dont put their foods in petsmart or petco.

also, if you spend about one hour on this site doing some research, it is very likely that you will know much more than most pet store clerks, imo.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Master Member

I switched Kodee to adult food around 5-1/2 mos or so. I've heard both sides of the "puppy food til 1 yr" argument. Personally, I felt that it made more sense to switch to adult food earlier w/a large breed pup, as it keeps them from continuing to grow so fast, which is not good for their joints. This is the argument I decided made most sense to me - but like I said, other people go the other way.

I also agree w/Roxy - what I used to think was "the best" was Lg Breed Science Diet. Luckily, I found out when Kodee was still really small, that that food is one of "the worst!" So, if you're buying from Petsmart, you could do better, more than likely. JMHO.

As far as spay/neuter - I used to work for a vet, and I believed for years that spay/neuter by 6 mos was gospel. This is what I planned for Kodee when I got him initially. Luckily, I did tons of research after I got him (before I had him neutered, thankfully), and I have decided to wait until he is 2-1/2 to 3 yrs old, if I neuter him at all. He's a housedog, and never outside unattended, so we won't be adding to the puppy population, and I want him to have his hormones until he is completely mature/physically developed. Males tend to keep that "feminine look" permanently when their hormones are taken away before maturity. I may not neuter him at all - testicular cancer is not that common, and I don't know that I want to permanently alter him - I see no real reason for it in our case, unless I start seeing some behavioral issues, but even then, I will try to figure out some other way of dealing with them than surgery...Also JMO. I just suggest you do lots of research (look around for other opinions than just vets - they make their money on vaccinations & neuters, remember). Then decide what arguments for//against make most sense to you. Good luck!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

My lab mix that I adopted at 3 months had previously had 2 separated vertebrae. Vet told me no puppy food just adult. He did not want any rapid bone growth. I used Eagle Pak for my gsd/dane mix for large breed puppies 23% protein and he quit have pano attacks when I put him on it. The Company said he could stay on it for life if I wanted to. However, the store where I was buying it stopped selling it due to low volume of sales.

Point being tho. I agree there is no need for puppy food for any length of time if any.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 PM

I put Boris on adult food at about 4 months also which was a recommendation from breeder. She also recommended neutering after 12 months. We did it at about 13-14 months.

April

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page