Tough time getting pup to eat... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Tough time getting pup to eat...

dry dog food. I have Blue Buffalo which is a pretty good quality food. He just seems to love canned. When I mix it he actually takes the Blue Buffalo out of the canned food and spits it on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Tough time getting pup to eat...

Of course, he is not stupid!! The more canned he eats, the less he'll want dry. I would put the kibble down for a bit, if he doesn't eat it, put it away, repeat it every so often. Real soon he will realize that it is either that or nothing! Trust me, he won't starve himself.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

Yep I would do exactly what the previous poster said!! Forget about the canned food for a while and just give him kibble. He won't starve to death.

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

When I brought him home he was on Pedigree Puppy Chow (crap). He would barely eat it. He started losing some weight so I went to the canned. Is 21 pounds for a 11 week a low weight?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Knighted Member

My pup is 11 weeks this week and I doubt she is 21 lbs, I am estimating her to be about 17-18lbs. So yeah I am sure it is a good weight. It again depends on the dog too. My male GSD was 18lbs at 8 weeks, now as a 2 year old he is 105lbs. But he is an exception, because he is too tall for a shepherd too.

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Something we did, when our puppy didn't really seem too interested in eating and we were concerned, was to just put a little warm water in with the kibble. That will soften the outside and make it smell a little more appetizing.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I know he is teething pretty bad too. I will use the rest of the canned (since I bought it and keep mixing kibble. Then I will go straight to kibble with maybe some warm water.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

You could consider adding a raw egg and some raw burger to his kibble. Some dogs really like organ meats, too. Goats milk mixed in with the food should help get this pup to eat, especially if he was still with his mother when you brought him home.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Yep!!!LOL.
My Dad used to say, "There's two things in life you'll never see, an atheistic in a foxhole and a dog starve to death that has food in front of him."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM

But on a possibly more helpful note, the first time I took my pup in to see the vet he said his appetite would go on and off. And he was right. For some reason Mack will go to the bottom of the bowl without coming up for air one time and be picky the next. As long as he's growing OK, I kind of leave it to him. You know what they say, "You can lead a gift horse by the mouth, but you can't make him look in the water."..... or something like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page