switching foods/loose stool - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

switching foods/loose stool

as of yesterday i had switched tyson from science diet to eagle pack. now here is my dilemma, last week i also got tyson some treats to use for his training. there the soft rubbery kind that break apart easily type. anyway i noticed since i've been giving him those treats he sometimes has runny poo. well now today i noticed that one ''small" poo he took was REALLY liquidy..could the change of food be causeing this?? have u ever experienced this b4?? im going to discontinue the treats just to make sure its not a digestive problem with the eagle pack.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Re: switching foods/loose stool

It is common for some dogs' digestive tracts to get wonky during a food switch. Give it a couple weeks and things should settle.

I'd suggest phasing out those treats and use something real like bits of hotdog, boiled chicken, freeze dried liver, things like that. Some of those "soft, rubbery" pet treats have really poor ingredients and I'll bet those aren't helping and maybe even contributing.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

Are you doing a slow switch with the food. You start with 75% old - 25% new for a week, then go 50-50 for a week, then 25% old food - 75% new food for a week then 100% new.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerAre you doing a slow switch with the food. You start with 75% old - 25% new for a week, then go 50-50 for a week, then 25% old food - 75% new food for a week then 100% new.
hmm no not exactly..i started 50-50, ill slow it down

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

My puppy had problems with her digestive system for months (well, she came home with giardia so I'm sure it messed up her stomach a lot). She ate EaglePack since she was a puppy and she had soft stools all the time.
We switched to SolidGold and it was much better immediately but she didn't like the taste of the food. Now she's on Canidae and her poops are perfect. She loves the food too and eats every bit of it even without any tasty additions on top. JUst my 2c.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page