How Often? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jakobi
How Often?

Hey all i'm new here. My question is, how often should I be feeding Jake? He's now 11 weeks old and i've been giving him a bowl of Purina large breed puppy chow in the morning (around 9) and the same in the evening (around 5). He's fully house trained at this point due to my routine... just wondering if I should be feeding him in the afternoon as well?

Fine Equine Art
Jakobi Studio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

Re: How Often?

You say a large bowl, what exactly is that? One cup, four cups??? I fed three times daily until she started to be uninterested, then I dropped it to 2. Becareful to not let him over eat, this can cause problems down the line with weight and his joints.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BetsyYou say a large bowl, what exactly is that? One cup, four cups??? I fed three times daily until she started to be uninterested, then I dropped it to 2. Becareful to not let him over eat, this can cause problems down the line with weight and his joints.
About one cup I would say. I use a drinking cup as a scoop and fill it, then dump into the bowl.

Fine Equine Art
Jakobi Studio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

I would suggest a couple of things, first I think you should consider getting a higher quality kibble, Purina puppy chow isnt that great, there is a thread under diet and nutrition that can help you pick one out, but there are several available that are not that expensive but a much better choice. Second, I would look at the feeding suggestions on the bag to get an idea of how much should be fed daily, and third, I would get an accurate measuring scoop.

When I fed 3 times a day, it was within the daily guidlines and how she was doing, i.e. the bag suggested 1.5 cups, she did better on 2 cups, so I fed 2 cups broken into 3 feeding periods. but knowing exactly what your puppy really needs on a daily basis needs to be the starting point.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info! The vet recommended Purina which is why I chose it. Any ideas of a better food that's not going to cost me $30.00 a bag?

Fine Equine Art
Jakobi Studio

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

You're going to have a hard time finding a high quality food that will cost less than $30 a bag. However, your vets bills will be a lot less if you spend more on a higher quality food. Your dog's coat and overall health will be much better. Plus you will feed less and your dog will poop less.

Forgot to say, welcome!

And also forgot to say that I was feeding Purina years ago and my dog had a TON of health problems. I finally switched her to better food and 90% of her problems cleared up!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

I feen Canidae all life stages and it is about $33 a 40lb bag

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Elite Member

LOL Feed not Feen

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BetsyI feen Canidae all life stages and it is about $33 a 40lb bag
That's not bad for a bag of that size.... about what i'm paying for the Purina for a 30 lb bag I think (too lazy to go check)

Fine Equine Art
Jakobi Studio

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Elite Member

Go on their website and see if there is a distributor by you. You will use less of it too, their poops get smaller and not so smelly, you will be amazed what a high quality food can do. I get it at the local feed and supply store.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page