Can this be right? 1/2 -1 cup for puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Can this be right? 1/2 -1 cup for puppy?

My Bella is almost 9 weeks and about 15.5 pounds. For her weight and age it says she should eat about 1/2- 1 cup of food a day..Im feeding her 3 cups and she eats it all up..is this OK? she doesnt have any digestive problems at all..goes fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Re: Can this be right? 1/2 -1 cup for puppy?

What are you feeding?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

I would ask too what you are feeding.

T. Ellson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Knighted Member

My Pro Plan is based on what she will weigh as an adult and how old she is, not what she weighs now. My pup is 14 weeks old. Right now that translates to 1 and a half to one and three quarters of a cup. I give her just over a half cup three times a day. She'd gladly eat three cups if I let her. My vet wants her THIN, because he said her growth will be too fast if she's overfed, and especially for a GSD it can have very bad consequences on her joints and skeletal system.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Master Member

I fed Nico Canidae as a pup, which is a very rich food, and he got 2-3 cups a day plus canned, at her age. He was never a fat puppy, always on the lean side. The bag is only a bare guideline, I've known dogs who have looked totally starved, but the dumb owners were like, "Well that's what the bag said." Always go by how your dog looks and feels, never the bag. My dogs have always eaten more than what the bag says, and all but one are very lean.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Knighted Member

Whoa- careful about the dumb owner comment. My vet told me for my puppy's health he wanted people to be asking me if I'm feeding her enough. I asked him specifically about her weight because to me she looked WAY too thin, and his answer was, and this is exactly what he said,

"See how she looks right now? She's on the heavy side of perfect- do not let her get any heavier than she is right now"
So if my vet is happy then so am I and I will follow his advice. No matter how hungry she acts.
That IS what I pay him for.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Master Member

No, I meant LITERALLY starved and underweight, not slim and lean like a healthy dog should be. You could clearly *see* this dog's ribs, spine, and hips, and he was a longer-coated GSD!!

They were feeding him only 3 cups of a lower protein/fat kibble due to his allergy issues, but he needed WAY more food because he was a 2-yr old and had super high energy. He spent 5 days a week at daycare and burned off way more than he took in.

I know many people look at my dogs and think they're starved, but they are healthy and lean. You can feel ribs, but you don't see anything.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: kutzro357What are you feeding?
Im feeding her pro plan chicken&rice- it says 1/2- 1 cup of food for her age&weight which is almost 9 weeks and about 15.5 pounds. I leave her food with her in her cage because My other dog gets bad diarreah if she eats just a little of the pups food. So I put about a 1 1/2 cups in the morning and put her in her cage in the for about an hour, take her out for potty, and put her back in for lunch and that 1 1/2 is gone. At night I put another 1 1/2 cup's of food and put her in her cage about 9pm and then take her out about 12pm for potty and back she goes until the morning and all her foods gone..and so on....
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Knighted Member

I would suggest pro plan large breed puppy- or any other premium food designed specifically for large breed puppies. I looked up the Chicken and Rice and it listed it as an adult dog food. I worry so much about my pup's skeletal development and do not want to take the chance on any other type of food except one made for my puppy. I can tell you the pro plan large breed puppy would have you feeding more than what the chicken and rice bag says.
What does her doctor say?
Also, I read the label of the food you're feeding and the weight you are looking at should be the weight at maturity, not the weight she is now. It's confusing, but I think that may be your answer.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Knighted Member

I see that the chicken and rice comes in both adult and puppy versions- the label info I looked up was for the puppy version. I think a puppy formula will have a large breed dog growing too quickly than what is healthy for their skeletal system.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page