HELP !!!! TONGA HAS THE WORST CASE OF GAS!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

HELP !!!! TONGA HAS THE WORST CASE OF GAS!!!

What can I do ??? I gradually switched Tonga to a Raw diet......now he is sleep beside me droppin off mini nuculear bombs !!!

The first one, I wasnt so sure....it was one of those silent, ones....then a few minutes later, he let out another......

Well this is the first time for me and Tonga....the smelliest stuff....ok...it must be the food for sure......

Its the kind of stuff that will run you out of the house.....but its tooo COLD out there right now !

Ok folks....what can I do..besides issue out gas masks for the family ??

Life isn't fun if you cannot laugh........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: HELP !!!! TONGA HAS THE WORST CASE OF GAS!!!

Run a pipe from output hole out the nearest window?

A little more seriously, what constitutes your dog's current raw diet? Is there a new protein source? Did Tonga have any special treats or little somethings added?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

light a candle or two -- seriously.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMRun a pipe from output hole out the nearest window?

A little more seriously, what constitutes your dog's current raw diet? Is there a new protein source? Did Tonga have any special treats or little somethings added?
**giggle***....I am gradually adding it to his normal diet.....which is canidae and Raw Diet....which is a product in the area called Aunt Jennys (spelling off)..its beef with a mixture of the normal stuff, veggies, nutients...sorry, I just threw the container in the trash..all I know the stuff reeks.....

I have been introducing the raw diet little at a time, mixed with the kibble...now I am thinking, his bombs are smelling like whatever was in that container...

BTW, the product is EXPENSIVE...so I may end up doing something else.....

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I am sitting here right now with the can of lysol......

My DH just came in the house and he is watching me watching the dog with the lysol ready to take action.......

You would have thought my granny was in the house

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Hah! Why not go to all-raw, in other words, dump the Aunt Jeni's and just go with stuff from the grocery store? Try feeding non-beef products and then add beef. If he's okay on the beef then maybe it was some veggie in the diet. Or it could be the combo of kibble and raw. Have you tried cold-turkey? Some dogs do better with a cold turkey switch. I never mixed kibble and raw with mine during the switch- when I was tentative, I would just feed a meal of kibble and later a meal of raw, but that didn't last long- now he is all raw!

The other benefits with true raw is that you can completely control the ingredients and you can find creative ways of doing it cheap. If you're not comfy going just meat, you can make your own veggie mush to add with the raw, meaty bones.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMHah! Why not go to all-raw, in other words, dump the Aunt Jeni's and just go with stuff from the grocery store? Try feeding non-beef products and then add beef. If he's okay on the beef then maybe it was some veggie in the diet. Or it could be the combo of kibble and raw. Have you tried cold-turkey? Some dogs do better with a cold turkey switch. I never mixed kibble and raw with mine during the switch- when I was tentative, I would just feed a meal of kibble and later a meal of raw, but that didn't last long- now he is all raw!......
DianaM,

I have to be honest....there are a few things that is keeping me from going totally raw....yes, I am in denial......but I must confess...I AM LAZY !! Ok I have said it and I still do not feel any better with this revelation....

Second, while reading everything regarding raw on this form, which is great by the way, I actually feel a little overwhelmed with the additional suppliments given inorder to balance everything out ..I cannot give my fur baby a piece of meat and walk away...I have to give the "otha stuff"...

I am not an organized person by no means....but I have made a few baby steps by ordering chicken necks from my bougie grocer the other day...

Even though I have read all the threads regarding raw, and the ideas are great, the notion of weighing food....Heck, I do not weigh myself....

I have to get off my behind and do something...I am trying to find an easy way into this...

Any ideas ????

My dog will love you forever !

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Knighted Member

I have to admit...I was overwhelmed at the thought of raw feeding at first. Before I switched - it was, "no way, I'll never to that!" But, Levi's allergies got the best of him....and we switched.

The best and easiest way is to ease into it. By that I mean, feed only 1 protein source (we did chicken) for the first couple of weeks (and I just did meat and bone, no OM, for the first few weeks). Then add one more source (maybe beef, or turkey) and stick with those two for a few more weeks. Keeping adding in every couple of weeks until you have a full variety. It was much less overwhelming having to deal with just chicken at first than a whole slew of meat products.

I pre bag all of the mornings meals (so I don't have to think in the morning too much!) and I used to do all the evening meals until I got into the swing of things. I just got the kitchen scale out, weighed and bagged everything up so it was really easy come meal time (just thaw and dump in the bowl).

It isn't as bad as it seems...just take it one step (or protein source) at a time!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mspiker03I have to admit...I was overwhelmed at the thought of raw feeding at first. Before I switched - it was, "no way, I'll never to that!" But, Levi's allergies got the best of him....and we switched.

The best and easiest way is to ease into it. By that I mean, feed only 1 protein source (we did chicken) for the first couple of weeks (and I just did meat and bone, no OM, for the first few weeks). Then add one more source (maybe beef, or turkey) and stick with those two for a few more weeks. Keeping adding in every couple of weeks until you have a full variety. It was much less overwhelming having to deal with just chicken at first than a whole slew of meat products.

I pre bag all of the mornings meals (so I don't have to think in the morning too much!) and I used to do all the evening meals until I got into the swing of things. I just got the kitchen scale out, weighed and bagged everything up so it was really easy come meal time (just thaw and dump in the bowl).

It isn't as bad as it seems...just take it one step (or protein source) at a time!
Mspiker03,

Alrighty....Today, I just ordered a case of chicken necks.....should be in a few days. I did experiment, I gave him a turkey neck and a sweet potato (whole)..and he scarfed that up.....(eeeww)

I just need to be on scheldule.....Question, do you also give your GSD's any suppliments (sp?) for nutrition ??

Just curious !

Many thanks

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Knighted Member

Yes...I do supplement. Salmon oil and Vit E - for skin/coat, and Ester-C and Glucosomine (preventative for joint issues). I feed a variety of meats, fish and green tripe to add nutrients to their diet (although I am thinking of adding something else to help with allergies/immune system - I haven't fully decided what yet). I also did not add salmon oil right away - mostly because I was testing for food allergies. I added that instead of a new protein source one week.

Just as a note: chicken necks are VERY boney. You will need to add some plain meat to your pups meal to balance out all that bone. Too much bone = constipation. Turkey necks also tend to be quite boney. You'll have to watch the poop - too dry or your dog is constipated, add more meat (you will know too dry). Too runny - add more bone. Also, adding too much raw variety at once (when your dog just starts out) can lead to upset tummy issues (diarrhea).

Good luck...you can do it! Come hang out in the raw food section

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page