food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

food

I am wondering what everybody feeds their GSD, the breeder I got him from suggested IAMS puppy food, and I see that Eukanuba and some other quality dog foods have food geared more to GSDs. I am wondering what has worked best for coat, weight etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: food

IMO, both IAMS and Eukanuba are crap. Especially for the money.

Dogs are carnivores, which means their diet should be comprised primarily (and some will argue exclusively) of meat. Many dog foods, IAMS and Eukanuba included, are heavily grain based.

When shopping dog foods you need to learn to read lables. The ingredients listed first in the ingredients list are those that make up the highest percentage of the food. Good foods have meat sources as their primary ingredients and will contain many meat sources in the first several ingredients listed. Poorer quality foods will have lots of grains (corn, wheat, rice, oats) in the first few ingredients.

Some other things are to try to avoid by-products, and that Chicken Meal is better than just Chicken, since meal has had the water removed prior to weighing whereas Chicken is weighed (and thus assigned it's spot on the ingredients list) with the water included. Once the water is removed from Chicken, it's going to move down the list.

For example, Eukanuba's GSD formula's first 10 ingredients:
"Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Brewers Rice, Fish meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast,..."

For the same money you can feed:
"Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken,..." More meat based ingredients, less grains, and the grain that is there (rice) is much better than corn.

Also, the "breed specific" foods made by Eukanuba and others are more marketing gimick than anything else. The ingredients are still relatively poor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

what about Bill jac? Mix it into the dry food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM

I feed canidea dry with various wet food mixed in (canidea, eagle pack innova)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Devin,

If you look through old threads here in the Puppy Feeding section, and mainly down in the Diet & Nutrition section, there is a whole wealth of information on learning how to select a good food, interpret food lables, recommendations for different brands, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

I would start with a good to high quality food. I really don't like adding canned food unless I absolutly have to, it is a pain if you travel or if the dog has a house sitter or they go to boarding. With dry food I can have a list, this dog get X number of cups X number of times a day.

Fussy eaters can be created by adding different foods. Raya recently taught me that if it is the correct food for them, you don't need to add a bunch of stuff to get them to eat.

I have used Canidae with mixed results. If you are looking for a good food, try Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and Fromms are good food choices there are several more.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildDevin,

If you look through old threads here in the Puppy Feeding section, and mainly down in the Diet & Nutrition section, there is a whole wealth of information on learning how to select a good food, interpret food lables, recommendations for different brands, etc...

Thanks alot, I will look around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page