Eating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Eating?

This is probially a popular question, But Tacoma has gotten very picky about her food, and gets to the point where she will not eat... Like right now. She's been on Euknuba(sp?) And Royal Canin. When we first started her on each she loved them, but as time goes on she refuses to eat... And suggestions? what I should give her? I need to go out and buy her food tonight anyways so just wondering what I should buy

Pup is Tacoma, born 1/23/07 - she's a 2007 model Tacoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Re: Eating?

I have 5 months old one and i feed him royal canin, sometimes he doesn't eat so much breakfast, so i add 2 spoons of plain yogurt and then he loves it.
I don't know if it is good idea to feed two different kind of dry food.
But there are more experienced people here on the board, I am sure they will be able to help you.

Linda
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to kgursky Send a message via Yahoo to kgursky

When I first brought my girl home (she was 4 months at that time) she would do this. I had to mix in cottage cheese so she would eat.

I would try the yogurt or maybe cottage cheese and see how she does.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Wouldn't call Tacoma a 'puppy' She'll be a year Jan 23.... She will only eat Cottage Cheese alone, not in her food, If I mix gravy in she takes one bite and lets it go until I have to throw it away...

Pup is Tacoma, born 1/23/07 - she's a 2007 model Tacoma
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Knighted Member

Tacoma,

Here is the process most people go through about food... finding the highest quality food that is affordable and that the individual dog in question will actually EAT and do well on (as some dogs thrive on a food, others may not). I feed raw, and invite you to check out that section of the board. My dogs do insanely well on it, as most that I've seen do. However, you are by no means selling your dog short by feeding a high quality kibble. Unfortunately, Eukanuba is not a high quality kibble. It is quite frankly crap in a bag. I know, because I fed it prior to my dog getting hot spots, having TONS of skin issues and having poops so big that I needed a dump truck to haul it all away. Due to these issues I really did a lot of research on canine nutrition. I found that most mass produced mass marketed kibbles (i.e. Science Diet, Eukanuba, all Purina products, Iams, etc.) are awful. It's extremely frustrating because they are all not cheap and you would think if you spent that much on a bag of food it would be good. NOPE! Here are the ingredients in Eukanuba large breed adult food...

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken By-Product Meal (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Fish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Flax Meal, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], DL-Methionine, Dried Chicken Cartilage (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Rosemary Extract.

Notice that chicken is followed by three grains (the main one being CORN - yuck). This is a grain based food, meaning your canine who is a carnivore is eating a food based on something he cannot digest well and just passes through his system. Here is the ingredient list for Canidae, a popular holistic kibble made with only human grade ingredients...

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Five out of the first seven ingredients are meat. This is a meat based food, with no CORN or Sorghum. Much better. There are also foods out there with no grain at all, like Innova IVO and a few others. You can absolutely mix kibbles if you like, and encourage you to do so especially when transitioning from one food to another. Yogurt in small amounts helps aid digestion, and I feed that as well.

Raw ground beef and raw egg usually will get them eating BTW.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Knighted Member

A couple of questions:

What are you currently feeding:
Yukanube? As John indicated, you would probably want to wean her away from this.

Royal Canin- if so, you could try supplementing with some beef and/or raw egg.

How ofter are you feeding each day?

When you indicate she will not eat - are we talking skipping one meal a day? Or holding out over several meals over several days?

Kayla used to ignore a meal here and there when she was younger. I would just continue putting the same meals down and picking them up and tossing after around 30 minutes. Thankfully, it never went past more than two meals. I was using RC with 1/3 can food at the time. Sometimes when she wouldn't eat, I would add a raw egg or meat pieces to it and she would eat.

Since I started using Nupro joint supplement with kibble last year, she doesn't miss a meal.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Tacoma ... I can sympathize with what your going through! My girl was picky, picky, picky at one point and I would get worried about her b/c she wouldn't hardly eat a thing, as I'm sure most of us have done.

But, to be honest with you I just finally said this is what your eating and enforced a bit of tuff love and it worked! This was of course after a clean bill of health from the Vet. I have never had a problem with her eating again. She LOVES to eat now, more so than my Golden. She will dance for her food! I also noticed after she was spayed she ate much better. I'm sure that's not the case for all but in my case it helped.

I too think the Canidae would be a great choice, I would love to feed that to my fur kids but they are allergic to some of the ingredients in it, so that is and was a no go for me. My girl is currently on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison, along with my Golden boy. They LOVE this food. They were previously on Solid Gold Wolf King and had been on that for quite some time.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to EastGSD

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDTacoma,

Notice that chicken is followed by three grains (the main one being CORN - yuck). This is a grain based food, meaning your canine who is a carnivore is eating a food based on something he cannot digest well and just passes through his system.
The above is not true. Corn meal is over 95% digestible and is a great source of energy and many vitamins and fatty acids. It does not just pass right through them. Sorghum is used because it is low on the glycemic index (helps with not spiking blood sugar levels) and is a very nutritious grain used all over the world.

Where is the guaranteed analysis for the Eukanuba? That is a *very* important part of comparing a food.

The only way to know the amount of animal protein in a food is to call the manufacturer and ask. The panel does not give this information.

Just some more info...

Cherri

owned by:

GSDs
Emma and her GerMercian kid
Tobe

And Doxies' Abby and Charlie my Service dude
and Stan and Castor the parrots
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Master Member

I agree with EastGSD the only way to really know the amount of animal protein is to call the manufacturer.
But I strongly disagree corn or corn meal is good for our GSD's in my opinion it is used as a low cost filler.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

My Elsa Rose was a very picky eater for the first FIVE years of her life (the fix was when I got the chow hungry Bretta Lee, but adding another dog is kind of a radical fix ).

She would literally skip meal for DAYS. To the extent I would see her lose weight if I just hung tough and refused to give in to figure out a way to tempt her. Since she'd ALWAYS eat treats and yummy stuff, I knew she wasn't ill and unable to eat.

So, for my peace of mind I did in fact adjust what I did.

First, I figured out a good premium kibble that she did usually like. I NEVER free feed cause I have to know what/when she eats and how much. And then, I started figuring how little of something extra and yummy I can add to that kibble that would get her to start eating and finish the bowl.

Since I use the Nupro Supplement on one meal a day (mixed with water to make a yummy liver flavored gravy) usually that meal she would eat. http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

But for the other meal, I open up my fridge and look there. Cause almost always a teeny bit of my human leftovers (pizza? yogert? cheese? any meat? pizza?) cut teeny, mixed with water and added to the kibble works well.

The other thing that always worked for Elsa was CANNED cat food. Apparently cats are finicky (go figure?) so they make their food extra yummy and stinky to get them to eat. I go to the grocery and get the bulk on sale cans with different flavors (variety is the spice of life) and the SMALL cans (like the 8 oz tuna fish can size?). These are ideal cause of the different flavors. Low cost. You can buy the plastic lids to store what's not used in the fridge. And the best part is that only 1/4 of these small cans, mixed with water and then with kibble mixed in assures my Elsa would eat.

Remember, I have a premium dog kibble that's the health and nutrition part for my pup. The cat food is in such a small amount it's just to get her to start eating. The mix of nutrients is different for cats vs. dogs so why we don't just feed cat food all the time.

Good luck!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page