Puppy food-protein problem? carbs? fats? calories? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Puppy food-protein problem? carbs? fats? calories?

Ok, now I'm all confused again.

I have a friend who's breeder told her that protein was the evil to growing young puppies so has her feeding her puppy with that goal in mind. Keeping the puppy fit and lean was also a goal. But neither carbs or fats or calories were (to this breeder) as key as the low protein. (not that she's saying use a crap food, she wants a quality food but with the low protein the main component to look for)

And there actually is a premium 'puppy' kibble that has the lowest protein level we could find at the pet store (lower than any of the adult blends) and it was the one the breeder recommended. Think the protein level in the puppy food is like 23% (don't remember the brand though)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Puppy food-protein problem? carbs? fats? calories?

Ok, update on the food withthe low protein that's supposed to be best for working puppies. It's Holistic Select® Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula

Holistic Select® Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula
23% Protein / 12% Fat / Calories - 375 kcal/cup

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting no help from you all !!!!

But did discover that if the low protein is right, since my pups all get the Nutro adult, it's only got 21% protein.

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice
Crude Protein (minimum) 21.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 12.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00%
Moisture (maximum) 10.00%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

From what i have read, why feed a puppy blend at all? Opinions are feed a high quality Adult food from the get go or RAW(my choice) is an option if you can deal with that. Onyx suffered from three bouts of Pano I believe due to the high protein level of her puppy blend(that and she is one of the tallest female GSD's I am aware of) until i researched things and decided to go raw. Some of the kibble blends without grains have a really high protein level, but it is a usable one and not filler. So confusing! I wasn't comfortable feeding those so I thought raw would be a better compromise.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 PM

23% protein doesn't seem all that low to me. Kind of on the low side of average.....but when I thought my dog had a chicken intolerance and I was looking for a non-chicken based kibble, most of them seemed to be under 23%.

And I really like the Eagle Pack Holistic line....it worked very well for my older dog and I've heard good things from others. And I've had great responses from their company and nutritionist when I've had questions.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

I never fed puppy food to my dog...I got her at 10wks and put her on Innova adult...I think it has 24% protein..Maybe this breeder was talking about the real high protein foods like Evo...Which is not good for large breed pups.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

The breeder said most adult blends have too much protein, and when we went running around the pet store checking, we found she was correct that almost ALL the premium adult food has more than 23% protein. So the puppy food she recommended was lower than the ADULT foods.

I also only ever fed my puppies adult kibble, but I didn't know is was only cause of the protein amount. I thought it was carbs/calories/extra unneeded supplementation.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Crowned Member

I keep hearing about the ratio of Calcium and Phosphorus.
I'm confused too.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Elite Member

The puppy food that I fed my pups was 26%, it was the Solid Gold WolfCub.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

The problem is, I don't think there are any "definitive" answers to this question. What little research that exists is debated. Simply Googling "large breed puppy nutrition" turns up lots of stuff. But lots of it is from pet food manufacturers. Here's one that's not, and seems to break it down in a way that is both scientific, and understandable:

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html

Like everything else in life, I don't think it's "one thing." It's not just protein, not just calcium, not just calories. It's all of those things. Because in the end, the goal is SLOW bone growth. And all of those nutritional factors are part of it. Meal size is also important, I think. You can get too much calcium/protein/calories into a pup by overfeeding him with an otherwise suitable food.

I think the "headline" for all this is simply that no large breed puppy owner should be feeding one of the traditional, fortified "puppy chows"--because they DO have extra calories, protein, and calcium---all three of which are part of this equation.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page