Most Highly Recommended Puppy Food(s)? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 511 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Re: Most Highly Recommended Puppy Food(s)?

I am currently feeding my German Shepherd puppy CANIDAE. My Breeder fed her dogs that so I wanted to stick with that. Plus it is good quality food for cheaper price...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 511 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Another vote for Canidae here. We feed all our dogs Canidae and they do very well on it. Our pup was fed Science Diet by the breeder. We have since switched her over to Canidae and no more itching and is growing very well. Use to use Nutro until we were educated on dog foods and switched. Never looked back. Canidae works well for us and cost about the same as the Nutro Max. Our vet tried to get us to feed Science Diet, but we know better. Plus I bet they get some sort of incentive from selling it in the offices.

"The more people I meet the better I like my shepherds"
Lucy- Border Collie
Heidi- GSD
Hannah- GSD
Lilly- R.I.P. Run free. You're not forgotten.
Simon- 6ft red tail boa
Abbi- GSD
Minnie Pearl- Min Pin

post #43 of 511 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Falken came home from the breeder with a small bag of Wellness for Puppies so that's what we started with. They just came out with a Large Breed Puppy formula so I switched to that. I thought the large breed puppy formulas were developed for slow growth, is that not the case?

Roxie, 2 years old, is on Nutro Natural Lamb and is doing great on it.

SAM123
Roxie Female GSD 7/1/06
Falken Male GSD 4/19/08

Rascal RIP 8/1/02 - 5/1/08 gone but never forgotten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 511 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 AM

They make a Nurto Natural Choice for large breed puppies. I recommend that. Its a bit spendy, $27 for a 20lb bag. But definitely worth it.

John Denver-4-19-08
post #45 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kasey06 <span style="color: #6600CC"> </span>
1) Avoid Corn-cheap filler/involved in past recalls
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but have you seen corn prices lately? I don't think it can be considered a cheap filler. If it was, then it would be replaced with something else by now.

As well, when meat is listed as "chicken" or "lamb" and not "chicken meal" or "lamb meal" as first ingredient...it is generally a marketing gimmick to make folks think that since "chicken" or "lamb" is #1 ingredient then that is what is mostly in the food. After non-meals are cooked you have very little chicken or lamb left due to the water content. I kind of laugh at the bags of food that say Venison and Potato for example and I see Venison, lamb, lamb meal, etc... there is more lamb in that food that Venison - labels can be very misleading!

Here is an interesting article about "Cornphobia "

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #46 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Even with elevated corn prices, it's a cheap ingredient in a dog's diet. At $8 a bushel (sky high for corn), we're talking 14-cents a pound.

I do a happy dance if I can find chicken leg quarters for 69-cents a pound to feed my dogs.

So, "cheap" is all relative, I guess. My next guess is that if corn prices stay high, kibble makers who use it will either turn to a different ingredient, or raise the prices--just like the manufacturers of human food do.

Many dogs do okay with corn as a partial-protein source in their diet. And many don't. I have no studies; only the reports of members here who see an improvement in their dogs when they eliminate corn as an ingredient. Obviously, those whose dogs are doing well on corn aren't posting that success, but I'm sure they are out there.

You are correct that ingredient labels on kibble can be misleading. The article you posted (and the website it came from http://www.kumpi.com) seem on the up and up. But the information IS coming from a kibble company who uses corn as a first ingredient in their product. It may be a fine product. I have no reason to think it isn't. But they do have a point of view, right?

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #47 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Luca_stl But the information IS coming from a kibble company who uses corn as a first ingredient in their product. It may be a fine product. I have no reason to think it isn't. But they do have a point of view, right?

Yes I would agree you have to balance any information where it comes from. And you are right "cheap" is all relative :-) I've seen lots of dogs do very well on grain-free diets and non-grain free....so I would think that whatever works is an individual dog thing :-)

Robert

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #48 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

never fed puppy food and neither did my breeder. started out on Natural Balance but the Shep stopped eating it. switched to WellNess kibble and WellNess can. my Shep and my Grey Hound love it. we also lace their food alot.
post #49 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Gypsyrose04I happen to stick with Purina Pro Plan LB puppy.
Me too.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

post #50 of 511 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Gypsyrose04I happen to stick with Purina Pro Plan LB puppy.
Its funny that you mention this. I was just wondering why I haven't seen any one mention Pro Plan? I've been using it for my dogs but I haven't seen anyone using it here. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page