Purina Pro Plan Sport - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Purina Pro Plan Sport

Any one use this food. Pup coming home on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOzzy2018 View Post
Any one use this food. Pup coming home on this.
This may help

Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K), sodium selenite. X-4461

Manufactured and guaranteed by: Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, St. Louis, MO 63164 USA
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I’ve seen the ingredients but thanks. Just looking to see if anyone used this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Master Member

Yes... we're using it at the moment on a now 9 year old female we adopted from the SPCA back in July... who was severely under weight ....started with the pro plan sport because of the 30/20 protein/fat ratio....between the pro plan and "satin balls" she's gained 10 lbs....I won't keep her on it 'cause I think she would be inclined to put on too much weight...but in her case--she love the taste..no stomach issues....good poop...great coat...
btw... I think there's two flavors...I'm feeding the lamb and oatmeal.....

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Master Member

OK now I'm going to correct myself--the lamb and oatmeal is actually pro plan FOCUS which is being fed to a female Aussie we have with ongoing stomach issues.......the pro plan SPORT that's being fed to the under weight GSD we adopted is salmon and rice flavor.......

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:44 PM

I did not choose this food for any of my GSD pups due to these ingredients corn gluten meal (cheap filler), brewers rice (cheap filler), animal fat (what kind of animal?) , poultry by-product meal (questionable ingredient) , whole grain corn (cheap grain often contaminated with aflatoxins) corn germ meal (cheap filler), fish meal (what kind of fish?), animal digest (from what protein source) menadione sodium bisulfite complex (controversial synthetic version of vitamin K). You could do MUCH better. A slow change over to a better large breed puppy formula would be my recommendation.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

I'm using the pro plan savor chicken and rice with my senior dog (non GSD) right now, we had a problem with him eating, he eats canned food but I wanted to see if I could work in a little dry. He loves the taste I guess because he'll eat up what I put down.
Years ago with our GSD pups they were being fed Iams when we brought them home, so we bought some but they did get some skin issues and wouldn't eat it. We switched to purina and everything cleared up. They didn't have all these different flavors then, at least I don't think so, but they ate purina all their lives and were healthy boys. They lived to be 12 and 12 1/2.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 PM

My boy is currently on Proplan Sport 30/20 and does quite well on it, however he didn’t start it until he was an adult. With his activity level I’ve had better luck keeping weight on him with the proplan than I did with Fromm or Victor

Rose
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Elite Member

My breeder uses it. The purple bag. She is a vet, if that means anything. I didn't feed it to Remi when I got him. Switched to Fromm puppy, then Dr. Tims, now annamaet. I would put a new puppy on fromm.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:20 AM
Crowned Member

Max was on Purina large breed puppy then I switched to Fromm gold large breed puppy. Recently I had tried ppp sport food and all three dogs were itching so I had no luck. Changed food and were fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page