Failure to thrive
Is this a thing in puppies? I’m at my wits end. Seiran has not been gaining any weight, and has in fact been losing weight.
She was seen by the vet weekly for this, who is also concerned, so a full blood panel, stool and fecal sample were run on her. She came back negative for all parasites (including the two I can never spell giardia and coccida?), no tapeworm, or other internal parasites. Had stool samples from all 4 dogs sent to the lab as well, they are all clear. literally all blood and stool samples sent to the lab came back negative. No food allergies, no grass allergies, no anything. Sonogram and X-ray done to make sure there was no internal blockage as a precaution. Kidney and liver enzymes and functions normal, blood count normal.
You can see all her ribs at this point, and just starting to see her hip bones and spine. She was originally on 4 cups of Fromm large breed puppy, and was fine. Started noticing a little weight loss and stupidly assumed it was a growth spurt, increased her food to 5 cups. Still losing. Vet recommended increasing to 6 cups, and adding in eggs and sardines (rinsed and dried). Still losing weight. Increased her to 7 cups per meal, and then increased the frequency from 3 times a day to 6 times a dayS Put her on a prescription food in between regular meals, still losing. Switched her completely to prescription food, with the same feeding schedule above, still losing. Decreased her activity levels, still losing. She is down to 26lbs. We had her teeth checked because of the jaw injury, thinking maybe it was causing her pain, but teeth are fine, and she doesn’t have any issue eating.
She’s always been given probiotics, we do not train with treats because she is more toy driven. If she wasn’t my dog, and I saw her in someone’s yard, I’d likely call AC for a wellness check.
Her activity levels are still through the roof, and she plays, trains, and acts completely fine. Coat is still shiny, but is beginning to have a rough hay like texture. I just really don’t know what to do. The vet has sent all her lab work, xrays, and sonograms to a colleague for second opinions. The waiting is killing me, I can just watch the weight drop off. The vet kept her for three days to evaluate her, monitor her vitals and food intact, and she dropped weight in their care as well.
Has anyone experienced this? Have any recommendations within a days drive for a specialist if my vet can’t get answers? I’m in southern AZ. This is well beyond the normal lanky stage as they hit growth spurts and shoot up and not out.