Picky Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Picky Puppy

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice, my 14 week old puppy started on diamond puppy and didnt seem to care about it, she was then changed to prescription science diet while having giardia and now has been back to diamond but on naturals large breed puppy. She doesnt want to eat it, Ive been trying the whole pick it up if they don't eat thing for days but still can only get her to eat maybe 2 cups when she needs 3-4. Shes also been very itchy and the vet says that she does not have fleas. Should I change her food? Shes 23lbs at 14 weeks (14 wks yesterday 9/16) Im worried that she may not be gaining any weight as she has been at this for 2 weeks now. If i do change food what should I change to? My vet recommends science diet, royal canin, or purina pro and ive checked the ingredients in them all and they look like crap. What are you feeding? We cannot do a raw diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to add, we try to feed her at 8 am, and she usually refuses and we end up leaving it down since we are both working :/ If she gets hungry i want it to be there, but then on the first visit in she still hasnt ate. Usually the first cup is about 3/4th gone by the time i get home at 330 when ive been trying to give some more then, if she doesnt eat then i take it up, and try again around 5 and so on..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

All of my dogs HATE Diamond foods and so do my cats and refuse to eat any of their foods. A lot of people have good success with Purina Pro Plan.
Shane'sDad likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
All of my dogs HATE Diamond foods and so do my cats and refuse to eat any of their foods. A lot of people have good success with Purina Pro Plan.
See i thought about switching but the main ingredient is chicken which is great but here are the next few- brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat

Rice, corn, wheat, by products :/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Master Member

Where are you located and what other food brands are available in your location?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradokx View Post
See i thought about switching but the main ingredient is chicken which is great but here are the next few- brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat

Rice, corn, wheat, by products :/
You can start feeding higher quality foods but IME, dogs don't seem to want to eat them. What good is a food if a dog won't eat it? At the prices they want for some of the better quality foods, you will be paying just as much or less if you would feed your dog raw and he will be the better for it.
tc68 likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
Where are you located and what other food brands are available in your location?
Pennsylvania. Im sure there are many brands available here.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradokx View Post
Pennsylvania. Im sure there are many brands available here.
Oh yeah...plenty. A lot of people here feed Fromm's. Quite a few, including myself, uses Victor. If you can, email/msg any company, explain the situation, and they'll send you a bunch of trial packages. Ask for a bunch. 1 pack isn't enough to make a decision. If they don't, you can at the very least, purchase the smallest bags out there and find one that your pup likes. I got lucky with my pup...he likes anything and everything. He'll eat anything I give him. His sister is the opposite. Her owners had to go through a bunch until they found one that she liked (Origen). Unfortunately for them, it's a very expensive brand.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 PM

I would much rather pay a higher price for good food for myself and my dogs.

The better dog food is generally higher in usable calories so I can feed them less and their poops are much smaller. The cheaper foods go right through them and create much more waste and I have to feed them a lot more of it. So I'm not sure it's really any cheaper in the long run.

Go for the good stuff. It will be much better for your dog and you won't be cleaning up those huge piles all over your yard.

We have done both and that was our experience. But since we don't eat processed food ourselves, we don't want our dogs to eat that either. So we feed raw.

Last edited by Pawsed; 09-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I would much rather pay a higher price for good food for myself and my dogs.

The better dog food is generally higher in usable calories so I can feed them less and their poops are much smaller. The cheaper foods go right through them and create much more waste and I have to feed them a lot more of it. So I'm not sure it's really any cheaper in the long run.

Go for the good stuff. It will be much better for your dog and you won't be cleaning up those huge piles all over your yard.

We have done both and that was our experience. But since we don't eat processed food ourselves, we don't want our dogs to eat that either. So we feed raw.
Aright... What is the "good stuff" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page