Please help! Puppy's weird behavior!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Please help! Puppy's weird behavior!!

So my 14 weeks puppy was finally gaining some weight, but he is acting weird now.

A little background: My puppy was kinda rescued and malnourished with only 10lbs at 10 weeks. He was 14lbs at 12 weeks. Now at 14 weeks, he is 26 lbs. He is EXTREMELY determinant picky eater. He was going without food for 2-3 days just so I give in, which I did! Anyways, I was feeding him orijen and didn't like it. I fed him almost all high quality brands out there, but he refused to eat and ate few bites. I ended up feeding him raw chicken. Even with raw diet, he won't eat the cheap leg quarters but the more expensive "organic" chicken. I am fine buying him stuff, but recently he started this weird attitude. He would come ask for food, and I prepare the food (he won't eat whole unless its cut in small pieces). I cut them small pieces and green beef tripe as topping. I have to do it fast or he would not eat. Like if it takes me more than 5 minutes, he would start playing and won't eat! I am just annoyed how weird his eating habits are. I tried to show tough love but he is tougher and very smart dog. He has good health according to vet, but I want him to eat at least one meal a day even few bites so he has healthy growth. I tried setting up time, but he won't eat when I put food, once I remove it, sometimes after 5 minutes, he will ask for food. I am like, dude I just put the food out and you walked away!

What should I do? Will it hinder his optimum growth if I force the schedule on him regardless of his eating habits? I can try feeding him once a day, but he would NOT eat for 2-3 days just to ask for food whenever he wants to. I left the food out but he would play with it only and not eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

If you are feeding raw, chicken and green tripe isn’t a balanced diet. They need the correct ratio of bone, muscle meats, organs, bone. And I wouldn’t leave raw out for him to free feed.

Get a ratio together that is correct, and pre-make meals. Flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then put into individual bags or containers so you can pull out one meal at a time. I give my dogs (not on raw) 20 minutes, if they haven’t touched it in those 20 minutes, bowls get pulled until the next meal, and I do not increase the portion size if they skipped their morning meal. It doesn’t take long for them to catch on.

If he pesters you for food, ignore him. He has 20 minutes (or however long it takes to breakdown a raw meal, no experience on that end) and pull the dish. Same with the evening meal.

If he loses a lb or two, it’s worth it if you can get him onto a schedule where he knows once the bowl is pulled, no matter how much pestering he does, he will not get food until the next meal time.

My GSD/Husky goes on food strikes. I offer at every meal, and if he doesn’t want it, I pull it. He’s never gone more than 2 days before he gives in. It’s also a sign that he’s grown bored with the taste of the same kibble, so I switch to a different food in the Fromm family. No need for my guys to switch slowly, they can go from one combo to another without digestive issues that come by switching brands. Fromm has plenty of grain in products to choose from.

If he is not eating, and showing sudden behavior changes, I’d get him to a vet ASAP. Sounds more to me like he had a medical issue going on than just being a picky eater.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

How much are you feeding? How often? How are his stools?

When was the last vet check and fecal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
If you are feeding raw, chicken and green tripe isnít a balanced diet. They need the correct ratio of bone, muscle meats, organs, bone. And I wouldnít leave raw out for him to free feed.

Get a ratio together that is correct, and pre-make meals. Flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then put into individual bags or containers so you can pull out one meal at a time. I give my dogs (not on raw) 20 minutes, if they havenít touched it in those 20 minutes, bowls get pulled until the next meal, and I do not increase the portion size if they skipped their morning meal. It doesnít take long for them to catch on.

If he pesters you for food, ignore him. He has 20 minutes (or however long it takes to breakdown a raw meal, no experience on that end) and pull the dish. Same with the evening meal.

If he loses a lb or two, itís worth it if you can get him onto a schedule where he knows once the bowl is pulled, no matter how much pestering he does, he will not get food until the next meal time.

My GSD/Husky goes on food strikes. I offer at every meal, and if he doesnít want it, I pull it. Heís never gone more than 2 days before he gives in. Itís also a sign that heís grown bored with the taste of the same kibble, so I switch to a different food in the Fromm family. No need for my guys to switch slowly, they can go from one combo to another without digestive issues that come by switching brands. Fromm has plenty of grain in products to choose from.

If he is not eating, and showing sudden behavior changes, Iíd get him to a vet ASAP. Sounds more to me like he had a medical issue going on than just being a picky eater.
Thanks for reply. I do feed him balanced diet of raw meat (including bones and other parts proportioned to the guide I got from my vet). However, I am worried if he keeps skipping meals, he will not grow to his optimum size. I do pick up in 15 minutes but he really doesn't care, and I can go on for longer if it won't affect his final weight/height. Last time I took him to vet he was underweight and vet said he looks smaller than average. He was healthy according to all tests. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
How much are you feeding? How often? How are his stools?

When was the last vet check and fecal?
I am trying to give him at least one leg quarter mixed with liver, kidney etc. He only eats when he wants. I was feeding him three times a day and giving parts of his prepared meal.

His stools are normal. Vet said all tests were negative.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

Raw diet is great, if done correctly and if the dog tolerates it.
You need at least 3 different proteins, can’t only feed chicken. He should be eating at least 1.5 lbs of raw a day, divided into 3 or 2 meals, at his age.
I would do more research on a balanced raw diet, and add and rotate several different other meats, or find a quality kibble he likes.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page