Diet & Supplement. Am I doing it right? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lj88

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Diet & Supplement. Am I doing it right?

Hi Guys!

We just got a GSD puppy 2 weeks back. He is 3months old now. Want to give him the best diet and supplements needed for his healthy growth. Right now I am mostly following what his breeder has suggested for both Diet and supplement, with few modification that I thought is good for him. So wanted get some opinion from you guys to know if I am doing it right? Please help.

Current Diet:
His breeder has suggested a strict Raw diet for him. But I didn't want my pup to miss out on the necessary nutrients that are needed. So I decided I will keep it 90% of his Diet raw food and 10% Kibble.

Chicken:
(neck-300gms, liver-50gms, Gizard-50gms)- Minced 400 gms twice daily + 40gms Kibble (Purina PRO plan)
OR
Lamb/Mutton:
Meat 300gms, Liver 25gms, Heart 25gms - Minced 350 gms Twice Daily + 40gms Kibble (Purina PRO plan)

Right now I keep at least 4 meals a week as Mutton/Lamb, rest of the times its chicken.

Current Supplements (Breeder suggested) :
  • Viusid - 2 ml - twice daily
  • Folrex - 1 ml - twice daily
  • Kalsis - 1ml - twice daily

His Current Weight is 13KGs @ 3months. He has little wobbly back, which is said to be common in showline GSD puppies.

My Questions :
  1. Am I doing it right? Is it ok to mix Raw food and little kibble? or is it over kill ?
  2. Are the supplements good and sufficient?
  3. I am planning start giving him little dosage Vitamin C/EsterC - 250mg and REX Wheat Germ Oil daily along with these supplement. I read its good to give Vitamin C for GSD. Is it good ?
  4. How much to keep increasing his diet as he grows? His breeder suggests to increase 50gms raw meat every 10 days until he leaves out food in his bowl. Then I will know when to stop. Feel this way I will overfeed him. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to your opinions and suggestions. It will help doing the right thing for my pup.
Attached PICs of him for you guys too.

Thanks in Advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-09-08 at 13.07.56.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	525117   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-09-08 at 13.06.09 (2).jpg
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	525119   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-09-08 at 13.06.09 (1).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	525121   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-09-08 at 13.06.09 (5).jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	525125  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Master Member

So, first of all, crazy adorable puppy and some great photos!

Second, I’m just bumping your thread for you, I don’t do raw, so I would not be the person to give advice, but we do have a lot of raw feeders here!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

He is adorable!! Lovely deep pigment on him.

Am I doing it right? Is it ok to mix Raw food and little kibble? or is it over kill ?

It is fine to mix. People will panic over it but most research says ok to mix kibble and raw. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are doing it right though With a raw diet (and you are mostly raw so I'd adhere to raw guidelines) ideally you will have 80% muscle meat 10% bone and 10% organs..of the 10% organ you should have a variety of organs, not just liver. Having a variety of secreting organs is important for full nutrition. Depending on where you are and availability, this can be achieved with a commercial grind that usually includes all the organs the prey came with, and a guaranteed nutritional analysis. With a growing pup I like to go with a commercial chubb that is guaranteed complete. You only get one chance to grow those bones and brain in your pup. If you do it piece meal make sure to include other organs in your 10%. Some good ones are kidneys, brains, testicles. I can get all that at my local Portuguese market (and it is cheap) ..I guess some people put it in soups? I want to know but kind of dont want to know lol.

As info- heart and gizzards are muscle meats.

Just a suggestion since the kibble is only 10% of his diet, maybe use it for training only?

Are the supplements good and sufficient?

I am not familiar with those you listed. My supplements are Nupro Silver. I also give canned raw pumpkin. I make sure some of their grinds have green tripe in it. Fish oil. They love raw honey. I keep a variety, it does not have to be boiler plate each day.

I am planning start giving him little dosage Vitamin C/EsterC - 250mg and REX Wheat Germ Oil daily along with these supplement. I read its good to give Vitamin C for GSD. Is it good ?

I'll defer to others. I dont know.

How much to keep increasing his diet as he grows? His breeder suggests to increase 50gms raw meat every 10 days until he leaves out food in his bowl. Then I will know when to stop. Feel this way I will overfeed him. Any suggestions?

Usually puppies should get 4 to 5% of their weight daily in a balanced raw diet. Or, some people do 2 to 3% of their projected adult weight.

Personally, I just make sure it is balanced and I watch my dog. Especially puppies, they go through plump and lanky stages. You want them nice and trim, you should see an indication of their back ribs and see a nice tuck in their loins. An hour glass shape from the top.

If I let my pup's desire to finish what is in his bowl as an indicator of what he should eat he would be a blimp lol Depending on how food driven your dog is, they can definitely eat way more than they need. I am pretty sure my 6.5 month old would happily eat 4 to 5lbs a day. He gets about 1.5 lbs a day of raw, could probably still afford to lose a pound, but acts as if he is being starved lol

Congrats on the pup! Where are you located? Maybe someone knows of a good source for raw for you.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
He is adorable!! Lovely deep pigment on him.

Am I doing it right? Is it ok to mix Raw food and little kibble? or is it over kill ?

It is fine to mix. People will panic over it but most research says ok to mix kibble and raw. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are doing it right though With a raw diet (and you are mostly raw so I'd adhere to raw guidelines) ideally you will have 80% muscle meat 10% bone and 10% organs..of the 10% organ you should have a variety of organs, not just liver. Having a variety of secreting organs is important for full nutrition. Depending on where you are and availability, this can be achieved with a commercial grind that usually includes all the organs the prey came with, and a guaranteed nutritional analysis. With a growing pup I like to go with a commercial chubb that is guaranteed complete. You only get one chance to grow those bones and brain in your pup. If you do it piece meal make sure to include other organs in your 10%. Some good ones are kidneys, brains, testicles. I can get all that at my local Portuguese market (and it is cheap) ..I guess some people put it in soups? I want to know but kind of dont want to know lol.

As info- heart and gizzards are muscle meats.

Just a suggestion since the kibble is only 10% of his diet, maybe use it for training only?

Are the supplements good and sufficient?

I am not familiar with those you listed. My supplements are Nupro Silver. I also give canned raw pumpkin. I make sure some of their grinds have green tripe in it. Fish oil. They love raw honey. I keep a variety, it does not have to be boiler plate each day.

I am planning start giving him little dosage Vitamin C/EsterC - 250mg and REX Wheat Germ Oil daily along with these supplement. I read its good to give Vitamin C for GSD. Is it good ?

I'll defer to others. I dont know.

How much to keep increasing his diet as he grows? His breeder suggests to increase 50gms raw meat every 10 days until he leaves out food in his bowl. Then I will know when to stop. Feel this way I will overfeed him. Any suggestions?

Usually puppies should get 4 to 5% of their weight daily in a balanced raw diet. Or, some people do 2 to 3% of their projected adult weight.

Personally, I just make sure it is balanced and I watch my dog. Especially puppies, they go through plump and lanky stages. You want them nice and trim, you should see an indication of their back ribs and see a nice tuck in their loins. An hour glass shape from the top.

If I let my pup's desire to finish what is in his bowl as an indicator of what he should eat he would be a blimp lol Depending on how food driven your dog is, they can definitely eat way more than they need. I am pretty sure my 6.5 month old would happily eat 4 to 5lbs a day. He gets about 1.5 lbs a day of raw, could probably still afford to lose a pound, but acts as if he is being starved lol

Congrats on the pup! Where are you located? Maybe someone knows of a good source for raw for you.
Thanks for the reply
I will surely take your advice on including other organs. I should be able to get it locally over here. We are located in Chennai,India.
Didn't know heart and gizzard is not considered as organs.
We have been reading pumpkin is very good for dogs. Should include it.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page