8 1/2 week only 6.5pounds - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

8 1/2 week only 6.5pounds

ok so luna just started recovering from parvo and she lost a tun of weight how much should she be weighing right now she looks super skinny , she looked like death at the time she was weighed, she does look like she is gaining a lil now but i can still see all the bones she will be 9 weeks on monday ...how much should she weigh at this point and how do i get her there healthfully

love is the only way !!!!, mommy too 3 fur babys and beautiful son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Master Member

All dogs will weigh different amounts, there is no one perfect weight for any age. Especially, when the dog is recovering. Just focus on getting her as healthy as possible.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Master Member

But obviously, make sure your vet is constantly checking her out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

i am trying to do this....that s why im also asking how do i get her back to being a healthy weight ,with out over feeding her, for instance how many times a day should i feed her, or how much should i feed her, what is the best food to help with weight gain, she is underweight and im asking for help to get her to a healthy weight and asking how much should she weigh so i have something to go off

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Brooks View Post
i am trying to do this....that s why im also asking how do i get her back to being a healthy weight ,with out over feeding her, for instance how many times a day should i feed her, or how much should i feed her, what is the best food to help with weight gain, she is underweight and im asking for help to get her to a healthy weight and asking how much should she weigh so i have something to go off
These are questions you need to ask your vet. They are the pro and the one physically examining your dog, so they will know best.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Master Member

When our pup was healing from a jaw injury, she had a taped muzzle on for the first few weeks, and she was fed via tube. Her original weight when we took her in was 18lbs at 9 weeks. In two weeks she was down to 14lbs, which doesn’t seem like a big loss, except she was growing as well. You could see her hip bones and ribs. Per vet, we gave smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. When she was switched from a tape muzzle to a regular muzzle that allowed her to open he mouth enough to lap food, we would blend her food with water until it was a soft serve consistency. You may want to try that if she’s low on energy and not up for chewing kibble. Or just soak the kibble in a bit of warm water to soften. Quality kibble 6-8 times a day, and when the muzzle finally came off, she right on track for her weight. Now at 6 months she weighs 51lbs. Slow and steady wins the race here. You don’t want to start offering high fat items or overfeed, it could be just as dangerous as underfeeding. So feed her the recommended amount in smaller portions more frequently. At least, that’s what worked for us. Hope you get more answers soon!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
When our pup was healing from a jaw injury, she had a taped muzzle on for the first few weeks, and she was fed via tube. Her original weight when we took her in was 18lbs at 9 weeks. In two weeks she was down to 14lbs, which doesn’t seem like a big loss, except she was growing as well. You could see her hip bones and ribs. Per vet, we gave smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. When she was switched from a tape muzzle to a regular muzzle that allowed her to open he mouth enough to lap food, we would blend her food with water until it was a soft serve consistency. You may want to try that if she’s low on energy and not up for chewing kibble. Or just soak the kibble in a bit of warm water to soften. Quality kibble 6-8 times a day, and when the muzzle finally came off, she right on track for her weight. Now at 6 months she weighs 51lbs. Slow and steady wins the race here. You don’t want to start offering high fat items or overfeed, it could be just as dangerous as underfeeding. So feed her the recommended amount in smaller portions more frequently. At least, that’s what worked for us. Hope you get more answers soon!
thank u for ur answer we have been feeding her a lil dry with wet food and a lil water mixed with it she scarfs it down and we feed her about 5 times a day but im afraid we arent feeding her enough because she is always acting like she is still hungry after a meal

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Master Member

You should also be able to just put a call in to your vet to ask how much she should be fed daily. We brought in the bag of puppy food to the vet, and they gave us the amount of water to food ratio for the blended food, to insure she was getting enough calories, and how much to give. We had weekly vet checks though, so based on the weight she was currently at, they would either increase or decrease depending upon the amount of weight she has put on during the week.

We feed Fromm large breed puppy food. Whatever you feed, you’ll need to bring in the food, or have the caloric information printed or available on your phone. We brought the bag because it was easiest for us.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

we are giving her puppy chow i know its bad but thats what the breeder was giving her we were gonna change it but then she got sick so we didn't want to mess up her tummy any more then what it is already vet said to give her small frequent meals ...we are but it just doesn't seem to be enough she just looks so tiny

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

thats a good idea her next vet visit is in a week for shots and to see how shes doing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page