Will this habit make my puppy faint? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Will this habit make my puppy faint?

So I got a GSD puppy. I have had experience with GSD. This time, things went wrong due to a bad breeder from whom I rescued the puppy. Breeder didn't feed puppies very much and he was ~6 lbs at 10 weeks. Breeder never told me what he fed if anything. I tried to feed him some boiled chicken at first to get him to like the place. He appeared hungry and willing. I introduced some Orijen LBP, which I had left from my other wolf dog. He ate okay from hand for a while but didn't eat from the bowl even boiled chicken. Then he quit eating more than one bite for chicken. I took him to vet, and she told me that he needed Royal Canin or Hill's because Orijen is harmful and so is raw diet. Anyways, I got him de-wormed and vaccinated. I got some Royal Canin and still he refused to eat for 2 days. I tried to feed him some boiled chicken from hand, then he refused to eat boiled chicken too. After showing tough love and trying to switch him to dry dog food, now he eats but only few bites of dry dog food (I switched to Taste of Wild). He looks very weak and weighs only 21lbs at 13 weeks. He has energy and plays and I taught him some tricks. He eats his treats, but he won't eat from bowl. Will he eventually faint from playing but not eating much? Also, will it affect his development? His parents were average size and height. I gave him some yogurt thinking he might have some digestive issues? He asks for food, but eats few bites and runs away. I tried to feed him 3 times a day, but he'd eat only 2 times.

Last edited by wolfmonte; 09-04-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Crowned Member

21# at 13 weeks is not a bad weight.

No, he won't faint. If he has energy to play and train then he is not weak.

Stop feeding him treats and make his kibble his training food/treats. When you feed him, put him in his crate to eat.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

Most dogs only eat 2 meals. If he is off food, it’s likely for a reason. I would take him back to the vet. I don’t know of any dog that can maintain energy levels while not getting the necessary nutrition. I doubt he will pass out from playing.

Do you let him free range the food? Leave food accessible to him at all times? Or do you pull the bowl as soon as he walks away? I pull bowls. It prevents my 4 from being “snackers” where they will have a few bites here and there throughout the day. They also learned that meal time is meal time, and if they don’t eat it all, they aren’t going to get more until the next feeding time.

Does he take/eat treats while training? It’s possible he is filling up on treats if so.

My girl was 23lbs at 13 weeks, and comes from a line of GSD’s that are at the smaller end of breed standard, but are still within standard.

I would take the pup and a fresh stool sample into the vet. Large worn loads can cause a loss of appetite. As can parvovirus and distemper, even with the first series of shot, they are not immune to these diseases.
Sunsilver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
21# at 13 weeks is not a bad weight.

No, he won't faint. If he has energy to play and train then he is not weak.

Stop feeding him treats and make his kibble his training food/treats. When you feed him, put him in his crate to eat.
Thanks for suggestion. I will try to feed him in his crate. He spits them out if I use his kibble as training treats. I tried so many different brands to see if he likes anything. He doesn't like raw meat too. I tried giving him some liver just to check. I put some treats in the food bowl to get him to like his food bowl, and he didn't even eat his treats. I changed material of his food bowl too. Anyways, I am changing my vet today, and taking him to different one to see maybe he has some digestion issues or some other condition.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

did he eat the Orijen?

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
Most dogs only eat 2 meals. If he is off food, itís likely for a reason. I would take him back to the vet. I donít know of any dog that can maintain energy levels while not getting the necessary nutrition. I doubt he will pass out from playing.

Do you let him free range the food? Leave food accessible to him at all times? Or do you pull the bowl as soon as he walks away? I pull bowls. It prevents my 4 from being ďsnackersĒ where they will have a few bites here and there throughout the day. They also learned that meal time is meal time, and if they donít eat it all, they arenít going to get more until the next feeding time.

Does he take/eat treats while training? Itís possible he is filling up on treats if so.

My girl was 23lbs at 13 weeks, and comes from a line of GSDís that are at the smaller end of breed standard, but are still within standard.

I would take the pup and a fresh stool sample into the vet. Large worn loads can cause a loss of appetite. As can parvovirus and distemper, even with the first series of shot, they are not immune to these diseases.

I tried both. Leaving food just made the food go bad. I am now picking up the food after 30 minutes. I got him an appointment at a different vet.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
did he eat the Orijen?
Yes only at first. A little bit of it.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I tried something new. I put a little amount about half tea spoon Tomlyn High Calorie Nutri Gel on top of his food. He ate 1 cup of Taste of Wild Puppy Pacific. He was hesitant on the last bite, but I called him and he finished it. Best feeling ever!!

What do you think if I continue this until he is actually eating?
Attached Images

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

I think you just have a picky eater. Has he been dewormed? Are his stools normal?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you just have a picky eater. Has he been dewormed? Are his stools normal?
I think he's a picky eater. He finally ate with that gel. He had hook worms when I got him, and yes he was dewormed twice already. I will get him tested tomorrow.

Do you think this paste/gel is safe if given in small dosage? I posted the photo in my last reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page