Stupid question about feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Stupid question about feeding

I’ve been doing some research on puppy food vs all age foods, as well as adult food for large breeds. Most of the dogs I’ve had have been adult behavioral rescues, so I’m new to this whole puppy thing. Trying to research on my own is making my head spin. Every article I read contradicts the article before it.

We are currently feeding Fromm puppy (not grain free) for Seiran and Floki, and Crios and Lyka get Fromm adult (not grain free). Lyka is fat, she’s slowed down big time on exercise at her age, she was recently spayed, and was switched to a diet kibble from the vets office. She’s still fat. So we went back to the Fromm for her, and reduced the amount. She gets 2 1/2 cups per day. Crios gets 5 cups per day, and that’s just to maintain. He is two years old, and in some of my research, I found that keeping him on puppy food until he is three would be better for him because he isn’t fully developed, and has super high energy levels, and is always going going going. Then naps, wakes up, and is go go go again.

But then during my research, it was recommend to mix adult with the puppy kibble to avoid too fast of a growth rate, which can cause joint and hip issues.

So I’m just lost now. Should I do a mix or adult/puppy for both Crios and Seiran, keep Seiran strictly on puppy food, and keep Crios strictly on adult food? Crios is SKINNY at 5 cups of Fromm a day. Would mixing the puppy food in be helpful? Or should I switch to a completely different brand made for high energy dogs?

All advice welcome. I’m swimming in articles that just lead to more questions and more confusion. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

I switched my WL to adult Fromm around 6-7 months old due to allergies. He still has allergies, though, which is a whole different issue. A lot of us think puppy food is a racket. It’s up to you, though.

How many calories are in the food? To gain weight, maybe switch to a higher density caloric food or add other things. 5 cups a day should be enough for nutrients.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The first pic is the puppy food, second is the adult food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7388AD-62D7-4D81-8A17-5E6321397818_1565292284325.png
Views:	12
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	524151   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E61B3C1-73F7-4D25-80E4-EC293035813E_1565292497302.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	524153  

Last edited by Jchrest; 08-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The puppy food is 3,993 calories a kcup.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:49 PM
LRP

What made you spay Lyka? I thought you had said before you had no spayed females, did something change to make you spay her?

Everything I have read said to switch from puppy to adult by the 1st year. Both my puppies (7 and 8 months) are on adult now though but getting 4 cups a day of dry and they split a can of wet food at dinner time. We feed the Kirkland brand as its more in our cost range with how much they go through. Its a good range of food for calories and nutrient and has the extra support for the hips/joints so I don't stress feeding it to them. They love it.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...ture-dog-food/

They are both in a healthy body shape, even our female who has been spayed recently and just went through her health issue with the bug bite is super fit under all her fluff.
Both dogs are extremely active. We feed to there body shape and activity level - if they are lazy and look thick, they will get less food. For now the 4 cups with added extra covers them and keeps them going.

If you think dogs canít count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:05 PM

I feed Canidae. 468 kcal per cup, so quite calorie dense. They offer a breeder/performance home program so for every 5 bags I get one free. Affordable, quality, and no recalls ever that I am aware of.. good company. My dogs are very active.

https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/pro...s-dry-formula/
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRP View Post
What made you spay Lyka? I thought you had said before you had no spayed females, did something change to make you spay her?

Everything I have read said to switch from puppy to adult by the 1st year. Both my puppies (7 and 8 months) are on adult now though but getting 4 cups a day of dry and they split a can of wet food at dinner time. We feed the Kirkland brand as its more in our cost range with how much they go through. Its a good range of food for calories and nutrient and has the extra support for the hips/joints so I don't stress feeding it to them. They love it.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...ture-dog-food/

They are both in a healthy body shape, even our female who has been spayed recently and just went through her health issue with the bug bite is super fit under all her fluff.
Both dogs are extremely active. We feed to there body shape and activity level - if they are lazy and look thick, they will get less food. For now the 4 cups with added extra covers them and keeps them going.
She had to have surgery for a vaginal prolapse, and she had a mammary tumor that my previous vet was hesitant on spaying her for fear of the tumor being opened to air and infecting her whole body with cancerous tumors. But the tumor had gotten so large that Lyka was in pain anytime she tried to lay down. Our current vet was confident she could do both the spay and the tumor removal at the same time, and it worked out wonderfully. We had her spayed because her uterus wasn’t in top shape from multiple litters, and we didn’t want to go into another surgery down the road of issues popped up with her uterus.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post

I think you mean per Kilogram It should run around 400 kcal per cup.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM
LRP

Quote:
She had to have surgery for a vaginal prolapse, and she had a mammary tumor that my previous vet was hesitant on spaying her for fear of the tumor being opened to air and infecting her whole body with cancerous tumors. But the tumor had gotten so large that Lyka was in pain anytime she tried to lay down. Our current vet was confident she could do both the spay and the tumor removal at the same time, and it worked out wonderfully. We had her spayed because her uterus wasnít in top shape from multiple litters, and we didnít want to go into another surgery down the road of issues popped up with her uterus.
Oh that is wonderful you were able to find a vet that could take on the challenge successfully. Do they think the mammary tumor was from not spaying her earlier or breeding her?

If you think dogs canít count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnsmom View Post
Quote:

I think you mean per Kilogram [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG] It should run around 400 kcal per cup.
Yes, thanks for catching that for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page