Puppy too skinny - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Puppy too skinny

Our puppy is almost 9 months old. She was seen at the vet on July 17th at 8 months old and was 56.7lbs The vet said she was too skinny and wanted her eating 6 cups of food daily. We feed her Fromm Large Breed Puppy food. She was getting 4 cups of food, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon/evening. Since going to the vet I haven't been able to get her to eat the 4 cups a day. I'm lucky if I get her to eat 3. What can we do to increase her food intake to help her put on some weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 PM

Maybe mix in some plain yogurt or cottage cheese in the kibble might help stimulate your pup's appetite. Also make sure the pup is getting plenty of exercise, that will help with increased appetite as well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Elite Member

How tall is the dog? The doesn’t seem to be a worry if he/she isn’t too tall.

Can you see all her ribs? Does the spine and hip bones stand out? You should be able to feel all ribs, and see the last two during movement/standing. Even vets can be mistaken about what a healthy shepherd looks like. They see different breeds all day long, they can get used to non working breeds that don’t have the tucked waist line of their nonworking counterparts.

Maybe post a pic and we can offer some more advice based on that, rather than the info from the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

That weight on it's own is not odd for a female GSD her age. Need pictures - from directly above, side view, a movement video would be good too.

Vets often like dogs at a weight that a person with a working dog would think is overweight or "pet weight" When I have my dog at the proper weight for working, my pet vet always says he needs a few pounds. Then I go to club where there is a vet that regularly attends and does Shutzhund and she says take another 2lbs off him lol

I do not like to see ribs like a xylophone on a puppy that is knitting bone, forming neuro connections in a growing brain, baking organs they need to have forever lol but I do like to see a sharp tuck and hour glass from the top. Maybe the back few ribs visible. My 2 are cutting weight right now. Had a few life bumps and dogs went all pet weight on me lol

So after all that text jar from me- post a pic or 3!

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page