Feeding Sophie, my 5 month old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Feeding Sophie, my 5 month old

I started her out on Canidae and switched to hills science large breed puppy when I figured out I needed a large breed specific food. Anyone raised a pup on Hills and has any pros and cons on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

I don't touched that stuff. I would start on Fromm Large Breed Puppy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousJones View Post
I started her out on Canidae and switched to hills science large breed puppy when I figured out I needed a large breed specific food. Anyone raised a pup on Hills and has any pros and cons on it?
Hi there, Since I see from your other posts that you are young and this is your 1st dog on your own I would suggest you find the best quality dog food at your price point. Your GSD is going to eat ALOT! My 5 and 6 mth pup's eat 4 cups of dry dog food each - per day. We also give them a can of a high protein wet food at dinner split between them. If you don't watch it the food can get pricey and you may start to make substitutes that are not healthy for your dog.

I currently feed them Kirkland brand (Costco) dry food. You can get 40 lbs for about $30. It lasts them about 2 weeks. It is not the best out there, but it is better then a lot and you can not beat the price. It is made by a good named manufacture and has a lot of the nutrients they need for there larger breed and bone/joint health.

Good luck with your pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM

If price is an issue- Kirkland, Diamond brand large breed, and Canidae are good choices. I've fed the ALS Canidae to all my pups and they developed beautifully. If money gets tight, I'll feed Diamond... it's a good food for the price. Kirkland is also a good food if you have a Costco within reasonable driving distance (I don't).

Also look into Victor Dog Food.

At the price you are paying, at least move up to the Diamond or Kirkland foods, as they are far better quality than Science Diet, for similar/less cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page