Which brand do you prefer - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Which brand do you prefer

Hi all,

I'll be getting my beautiful puppy in roughly 2 months they are being born in a couple of days, I've been debating about the dog food for some time, the current breeders feeds her dogs royal canin which I'm definitely not feeding to my child.

Currently I'm debating between blue Buffalo wilderness large breed and orijen large breed, I've heard orijen hasn't been recalled and everyone I ask at a pet store say orijen is the way to go.

Which would you pick?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Master Member

If I was feeding a kibble it would be Nature's Logic.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

https://www.chagrinfallspetclinic.co...ction-lawsuit/

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Master Member

Welcome to the forum.....between the choices you gave I'd choose Orijen.....I don't feed either but there are plenty of threads here debating what kibble individual members feed and why...take the time to search them out on this forum and form your own opinion....although in fairness there are sooo many different opinions here you may end up more confused.....dog food these days is a big and important decision...just sayin'
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds exciting. For pups I was happy with the Fromm Large breed puppy-gold. Whatever you feed it is important that is has the right calcium/phosphorus level for a gsd puppy to much or to little calcium and phosphorus can lead to growth issues. Depends on your pup does on the food so it is good to have a few different puppy foods in mind. I would not change the pups food right away as most likely they are doing well on it and best give them time to their used to their new home before new food is introduced. Their has been a lot of recent cases in regards to linking gentics and grainfree foods - foods with peas and cardiomyopathy. I would just be aware before of this before choosing a puppy food.

https://ivcjournal.com/feeding-large-breed-puppies/

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2017/...ules-may-help/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-09-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 PM

I have always used Fromm for my guys. I used to get it online from chewy, but Fromm pulled their product from that dealer, so I tried two other brands. Taste of the wild they took to fine, but within a week their coats were dull and they started scratching a lot. I tried Orijen next, and it was not a good choice. I was cleaning up tons of diarrhea all the time (with a gradual change of food). So I found another dealer for the Fromm, and they went right back to solid stools and great coats.

There are so many choices out there, it’s going to make your head spin. But every dog is different, what one may thrive on, another will fail on, so find a few you like (check all ingredients, calorie content, and calcium levels) and slowly mix it in with the pups current food. Stick with one for a few weeks, if it gives you the results, stick with it. If not, slowly try the next one.

I know that’s not much help, but it really is a shot in the dark as to how your puppy will do on different brands. Just make sure you check for existing and previous recalls, and what companies have bought out a previously private brand. Good luck to you and your pup!
Heidigsd and Sabis mom like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Fromm or prepared raw for a puppy.
ausdland likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM

I recommend Fromm. I started my last two GSD pups on it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

Of the two you mentioned I would go with Orijen. Personally I have never had a dog that could tolerate it. I would not feed Blue to anything, and I am a bit baffled as to how they continue to be recommended-or in business for that matter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Add this one
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...rs-020116.html

They say they did nothing wrong but settled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page