Which brand do you prefer - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding back to me, It's just driving me crazy how many types of kibble is on the market. I'm going to probably drop blue after I dug around the web for about 4 hours. I hear great things here about fromm so im probably going to go with them.

Thank you all for the help, appreciate it and i will pay the puppy tax when i get my child.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Even if one food doesn’t work out, you aren’t going to make a permanent mistake. If one brand doesn’t work, you can switch to another without harming the puppy. Fromm is an excellent food.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Here is what I am currently rotating:

Victor premium dog food (puppy)
Orijen
Dr Tim’s
ZiwiPeak wet food
Honest Kitchen (mix in a little real meat for taste) - human grade food
Fromms wet food

If you want to be grossed out, read about how they make most dog food, little to zero regulation.

Rotate proteins beef/turkey/chicken etc. constantly so they don’t develop sensitivity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM

I have a 5month pup is hills science diet large bredd pup not a good choice?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:40 PM

I fed Orijen large breed puppy for both of mine without issue for about 18 months. They are now 4 years old and 7 years old but we switched to Nature's Logic last year for a few reasons.

Michele - Furmom to:
Frannie - 7/15/12 (Dark sable DDR GSD)
Judah - 6/15/15 (Black DDR GSD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gone but never forgotten:
Darby - 3/27/02 - 12/13/11 (Black/tan West German GSD)
Fritz - 12/3/03 - 9/3/12 (Red sable Czech/West German GSD)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousJones View Post
Yep. Not a good choice.
Mudypoz likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

It depends: how much can you afford to spend per month?

Keep in mind that all kibble falls on a spectrum -- most of it falls somewhere in the middle between decent and pretty good. However, kibble is a convenience compromise. It's all heat processed, most of it contains rendered meals, and all if it contains a lot of heat-modified carbs with the by-products that come with that (even the grain-free -- usually worse carbs than the grain-in in terms of digestibility...peas/potatoes/tapioca in place of oats/rice/barley). So you're not going to find a "perfect" kibble. You can find plenty that are "pretty good" though.

For my 2 dogs that can tolerate kibble, they do very well on Fromm, and the company's sourcing of ingredients has some good quality control and integrity. THAT is really overlooked by many consumers and has often caused other company's recalls. Other small companies making interesting products with attention to sourcing include RAWZ (which is a kibble, not raw meat), and Open Farm. I would personally do a trial run with either RAWZ or Open Farm before Orijen made in their Kentucky plant, if I were looking for something in that price point. (If you decide to rely on Orijen, you'll also possibly be dealing with Purina soon, as they're apparently in talks to acquire all or part of Champion...so stay tuned).

If you can afford to feed a less processed diet, you can still achieve some convenience with dehydrated just-add-water foods -- some of which are labeled for puppies -- from The Honest Kitchen, Dr. Harvey's, Sojo's, etc.

The next step up in price would be to buy commercial raw frozen diets from reputable companies like Primal, Bravo, OC Raw, etc.

So the answer to your question REALLY depends on money. Don't go broke feeding your dog, but feed the best food that comfortably fits your own budget. For many people, the right answer is a very reasonably priced food -- and Fromm is too expensive. In that situation, I always recommend Diamond-made food (whether Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy, or later Costco's Kirkland chicken/rice adult food, or the 4Health analog...it's all made by Diamond). Their large breed puppy food is decent and very economical. I've purchased a lot of it for our breed rescue because it feeds out well and represents good value. It's food that you don't have to feel guilty about feeding.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousJones View Post
Not a good choice. Check the ingredients carefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page