Puppy will not eat dry food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Puppy will not eat dry food

Hello, tried searching this topic but couldn’t quite find exact problem. Brought a 3 month old puppy home last week, according to the breeder he ate dry food in the morning and raw in the evening, tried every trick in the book with the mixing but he spits out the dry, the same brand that breeder claims he was eating in morning, he will eat raw , canned , fresh pet select . Is there anything left to do other then letting him get hungry enough to eat ? He’s a 3 month old. Any help is greatly appreciated . Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

He knows what’s good and what is not.
If you don’t have to feed dry food, and can feed fresh homemade or raw, there is no reason to feed kibble. Just make sure you feed the right proportions of bone, organs and muscle meat. There is a wealth of info on this forum about diet.
Orphan Heidi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

My last Dog lived to be 13 on dry, good shape I have always tried to use more quality dry, feeding raw and homemade is not do able for me , I’m a single dad of a young child , I work and have to board my dog sometimes 1 or 2 weeks a year , I was just trying to get some help. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:29 PM

The benefits of feeding kibble are many, and I totally understand wanting to find a solution that lets you do that.

I am too new at this to have any sure-fire advice...but I do believe it won't hurt the pup to go hungry (miss a meal) a time or two to help build an appreciation for his kibble. If I were in your shoes, (and I basically was when I brought my pup home...she was fed 100% raw at her breeder's home) I would find a good kibble I was confident in and wean him off the raw completely...at least for now. If he knows something better is coming later in the day, he may not care to eat the kibble. If all he gets is kibble...and he gets hungry enough...he'll learn to like it. Once you get him used to eating the hard, crunchy bits, then maybe you can dial in a flavor that he likes best.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Cacciatore1981;9159531tried every trick in the book with the mixing but he spits out the dry, [/QUOTE]

Smart pup.....I might be wrong but mixing raw and kibble probably is not a good idea.

I'd stick with the breeder's feeding plan.......a meal or two missed of kibble won't be the worst thing.......

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 PM

Is it the same kibble as the breeder was using? Also, how about canned or dehydrated if you need a backup to raw? You could even mix the canned with a little warm water and mix it up with the kibble?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Mei
Master Member

Your puppy could just be teething and the kibble hurts his mouth? Happened to mine at that age. I just added beef/chicken stock or warm water to soften it up. just a thought.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Yes tried everything, mixing canned low sodium stock , water , baby food , you name it , never had this problem with any of my past dogs, crazy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you that's what I'm thinking , if he gets hungry enough he has to eat, so far he went a day and a half and I caved , he will devour the pet fresh select wet food , even tried mixing it but he spits out the dry, first time for everything , never seen this before
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Hello, no I'm not mixing raw and dry , but tried everything else, broth , canned food , water you name it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in