Question on my puppy's food.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Question on my puppy's food..

So we have had our puppy now for about three weeks now. She is a pure breed and the breeder was feeding her the Royal Canin for GSD puppy. So I continued to feed it to her, after looking at the ingredients the byproducts and corn I was kind of put off on it. So I like the ingredients of Blue bufflo wilderness and it has an increase from the 28% she gets to 35% protein as well. Any thoughts or suggestions for the switch? I have also heard good things about the Royal Canin brand... I just want her to be big and healthy.... any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 PM

You're smart :-) A lot of people here feed Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold. I used it for my last two GSD pups and would highly recommend it.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

FROMM's

Family (5th generation) owned and operated. They run ALL areas of their business.
*"Owning and operating our plants allows us to have full control over the quality and safety of the products we produce. This encompasses everything including, sanitation and pest control, facility maintenance, employee training, sourcing of ingredients, in-house lab analysis, preparation of meat and produce, formulation and blending, processing, packaging, warehousing and distribution.

*Our Approved Supplier Program ensures that ingredients have been tested by our suppliers and are secure and unadulterated until they are received at our plants. The ingredients are sampled and not unloaded until our own on-site testing labs can verify the safety and integrity of the received load. In process testing is also done at our labs to confirm our formulations are complying with guaranteed analysis as stated on our labels. "

https://frommfamily.com/products/dog...eed-puppy-gold

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

I like the Victor foods. They don't kill your checking account. Are sourced and made here in the U.S. Zero recalls that I know of off hand. And they tell you exactly how much protein from meat/vege/grain in each food.
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Royal Canin GSD puppy is fine if it is working for your pup and no issues, why switch? Corn isnt the devil and by-products are just organ meats. I would stay away from Fromms even though many here recommend it. Family owned, and friendly people dont really mean anything when it comes to a properly formulated diet. Fromms currently doesnt have any Veterinary Nutritionists full time on staff formulating their products and multiple dogs have been diagnosed with DCM eating their foods. Their animal protein %'s are also low. I like Victor personally and it has always worked well for my dogs.
tc68 likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I would stay away from Fromms even though many here recommend it. Family owned, and friendly people dont really mean anything when it comes to a properly formulated diet. Fromms currently doesnt have any Veterinary Nutritionists full time on staff formulating their products and multiple dogs have been diagnosed with DCM eating their foods. Their animal protein %'s are also low.
Just curious, Fromm's has both grain free and grain inclusive formulas. Have the DCM diagnoses been with the grain free foods or both?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:51 PM

I am not 100% sure, Id have to go check. What is being shown is that its not as simple as grain free or not, its coming down to proper formulation of ingredients working together. Fromm has shown they do not know how to properly formulate their full line of products which would keep me away. They also dont conduct any feeding trials.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Master Member

The most recent official message I've seen concerning DCM is a recommendation to avoid foods that contain peas (including pea protein, pea starch, etc.) in the top 10 ingredients. You (the OP) mentioned considering Blue Wilderness as a new food. A quick check of the ingredients of the Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy formula shows peas as 3 of the first 10 ingredients (they are 3 of the first 5 actually) ... aside from not trusting Blue Buffalo as a company, I would rule that food out immediately just by a quick glance at the ingredients.

I'm not a huge fan of Royal Canin, personally, but if it works for your dog then maybe stick with it. You could do much worse. If you do decide to change, I would echo a couple of other previous posters, and recommend you take a look at Victor's foods. They have a pretty broad line, including a few high protein, grain-inclusive foods if higher protein is what you are looking for.
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
Royal Canin GSD puppy is fine if it is working for your pup and no issues, why switch? Corn isnt the devil and by-products are just organ meats. I would stay away from Fromms even though many here recommend it. Family owned, and friendly people dont really mean anything when it comes to a properly formulated diet. Fromms currently doesnt have any Veterinary Nutritionists full time on staff formulating their products and multiple dogs have been diagnosed with DCM eating their foods. Their animal protein %'s are also low. I like Victor personally and it has always worked well for my dogs.
Corn may actually be the devil. And by products are not "just organ meats".

RC is owned by Mars, who also own Pedigree and various others. They don't have vets on staff they OWN Banfield.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:05 PM

I've got a five month old puppy that was on Fromm Large Breed Puppy food when I picked him up from the breeder. I wanted to keep him on it, but he had chronic loose poop and the vet suggested trying an elimination diet and prescribed Royal Canin HP, so that's what he's on now. He seems to be handling it much better. I suspect he's actually allergic to the chicken in the Fromm, so that's not necessarily a poor reflection on Fromm and could just be an issue for my puppy. I will say that my puppy seems to like the taste of the Royal Canin much better than the Fromm.

A friend of mine who is now a veterinarian shared a link to this website Questions You Should Be Asking About Your Pet?s Food ? Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School which provided some guidelines on how to choose a good food for your pet. It's kind of a rabbit hole that you can get lost in, but I thought it probably had some good advice as the article is written by a professor at a veterinary school.
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page