Fromm’s might be causing some issues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Fromm’s might be causing some issues?

Our puppy has been switching over to Fromm’s the last few week. She was on another dry kibble but I read more about the brand here (Hill’s Science Diet - recommendation, we didn’t pick it) didn’t like it, and decided to switch to Fromm’s instead. We also just ordered Just Food for pets and we’re going to use that for 50% of her meals.

But.. our puppy never has gas and she has the worst gas lately. She just finished switching over foods today. What should I do? I love the brand and what everyone here says about it. And we have a huge (and very expensive) bag left! Is it her detoxing from her last food? Will it stop eventually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Crowned Member

I have had 2 now that just didnt do well on Fromm. Sounds goid in theory but my dogs do better on Victor
mmags likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Master Member

Could be detoxing, could be something in the food she doesn't handle very well. Do you give probiotics? What are her poops like?

When switching kibble I always start off with the smallest bag I can buy in case the dog doesn't like it or doesn't react well to the food. Also larger bags tend to go rancid long before the dog eats all the food, this is why I think a lot of owners end up with a dog who gobbles a new food down at first then a few weeks in stops eating it. The fats in kibble start to go rancid the moment you open the bag and expose it to oxygen.
das1 likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Id switch off of Fromm. Theres really no reason to feed it when there are better foods out there for the same price or cheaper. Fromm also showed that they dont know how to properly formulate their products when this whole DCM thing broke out and their band aid fixes with lack of veterinary nutritionists formulating their foods became clear.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM

When we were using Fromm Gold LBP for Steel, he had the worst gas. We moved to Muenster Milling Fish recipe and his stools stayed firm and he had less gas. I'm actually transitioning to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach since it still has an appropriate Cal:Phos ratio for him and my female does well on Salmon. I've been in search of a good food for both of them for a while. Some dogs do well on certain foods, others don't. If you haven't stayed on it for very long, you could wait it out and see. Maybe some goat's milk or probiotic to see if it helps with the gas issue.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Could be detoxing, could be something in the food she doesn't handle very well. Do you give probiotics? What are her poops like?

When switching kibble I always start off with the smallest bag I can buy in case the dog doesn't like it or doesn't react well to the food. Also larger bags tend to go rancid long before the dog eats all the food, this is why I think a lot of owners end up with a dog who gobbles a new food down at first then a few weeks in stops eating it. The fats in kibble start to go rancid the moment you open the bag and expose it to oxygen.
I don’t give her probiotics but I have some. I give the same brand to my cat but the cat kind obviously. Her poops are solid, sometimes brown, sometimes a dark yellow/brown.

Could anyone recommend another food we can switch to? She’s 6 months old now so maybe just adult food? I might try waiting it out to see if she was just adjusting and then switch to a smaller bag of what you guys suggest.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
I donít give her probiotics but I have some. I give the same brand to my cat but the cat kind obviously. Her poops are solid, sometimes brown, sometimes a dark yellow/brown.

Could anyone recommend another food we can switch to? Sheís 6 months old now so maybe just adult food? I might try waiting it out to see if she was just adjusting and then switch to a smaller bag of what you guys suggest.

Dog food Advisor is a good place to start. I feed raw so have not kept up with all the various kibble options available.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

Some dogs digestion’s systems are sensitive then others. if you give some time to adjust and still gassy then I would switch. You can try the honest kitchen perfect form to help with gas and soothe the digestion system during the transition. I like fromm and victor. With all this grainfree issues I switched to the fromm grain recipes and rotate with Victor I always add fresh meat dehydrated patties. It depends on how they do with it. I fed fancy feast canned cat food - not the best even though they looked the best- to my cats since they were kittens everyday for 19 years and they were never sick and passed of old age between 18-19 years of age.
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/perfect-form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:57 AM
Master Member

Sometimes even the best, most organic most expensive dog food does not do well for a dog - so all in all, it depends on the dog. My dog was once on Muenster fish formula, the ingredients are top notch and the price was high for a 30lb bag (I got a 50% discount). My dog was terrible when he was on it: suddenly itchy, itchy, super itchy. Stools were almost never solid. It was ugly.

Now we're on Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, chicken flavour. He usually prefers fish but he likes this one a lot. The products are cage-free and lots and lots of fruits amd vegetables including blueberry, pumpkin, cale, spinach. He's doing exceptionally well and the price is half of Muenster's.

Again, as long as food is okay, AND your dog does good on it and likes it, you should probably stay with it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with Fromm but their formulas are different. Which one is she on? Mine were both on Four Star with grains. My older dog has developed ulcers. We donít know why but I switched her food and so far itís working. Something in her diet disagreed with her. We still donít know if itís the food. I was also giving her goat milk kefir, coconut oil and several different topper style foods. The problem with Fromm is that many of their foods contain chicken protein and pea protein. Dogs who have eaten chicken based protein their whole lives can develop an allergy to it. Chicken seems to be more common because most puppy foods contain chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page