Switch to Raw/Tefco? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Im thinking of switching my puppy to a raw diet. Specifically Tefco performance dog. Anyone feed this or have any input on tefco or other good pre made raw diets?

I don’t trust myself to create my own diet, this is my first dog so I’m looking for a pre made diet

I’m thinking of switching to raw because my puppy has become disinterested in dry food because we give him lots of raw chews like soup bones etc. he still eats but it’s just a hassle and I think I’d have a happier pup on a raw diet

The puppy is male 9 months old and currently eats orijen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

Raw is a GREAT diet when done properly. I do a chubb with guaranteed ingredients/ratios to make sure he gets what he needs phosporous/minerals wise and then I also supplement with fresh goodness. Things I add here and there to ensure variety- chicken drumsticks, and/or backs, and a variety of secreting organs (chubbs often only have liver and kidney..sometimes just liver).Some secreting organs I add that can be found in some supermarkets-especially ethnic ones ...brains, testicles.

That said, Tefco is available by me, is priced right...and it is AAFCO approved. However, at one point I questioned the ingredient of rice hulls and limestone (there is non of that in any other commercial chubb I have purchased). And while people have highly active and sport dogs successfully on this formula, nobody could give me a good answer and a few researched people here did raise some studies about rice hull not being a great DAILY part of their diet. I'll see if I can find my own older thread.

My dogs LOVE it, I feed it here and there. It's nice and fresh, good color. It's just always good to question these things

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CometDog; 01-30-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

My male Was raised on this food. I know many national and world level handlersvwho feed this food. I'm using a different one right now for my puppy but am looking for a supplier near my path of travel to switch back. If you have any questions on the food or ingredients, contact Jerry directly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

How about Stella and chewy, instinct, or primal? My local pet store carries these and was wondering if these are considered good foods to be his main daily meals
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan900 View Post
How about Stella and chewy, instinct, or primal? My local pet store carries these and was wondering if these are considered good foods to be his main daily meals

Yes, all good but all different!

It comes down to what is important to YOU and your budget

S & C is HPP (High Pressure Pasturazation). Grass fed, farm raised, wild caught, no hormones or abx, No ingredients from China.
https://www.stellaandchewys.com/why-...the-good-stuff

Primal is HPP on poultry products only. Human edible, no hormones or abx, No ingredients from China.
https://primalpetfoods.com/pages/quality-guarantee
Feeding Calculator: https://primalpetfoods.com/pages/feeding-calculator

Instinct: all foods are HPP. "we source ingredients like cage-free chicken, grass-fed lamb, and wild-caught salmon as well as non-GMO fruits and vegetables for our raw diets. our foods cannot be classified as being human grade."
https://www.instinctpetfood.com/our-...ur-ingredients
Feeding Guide: https://www.instinctpetfood.com/feeding-guide

Moms
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you moms

If I switch him to Stella and chewy should I supplement him with anything? They say they add vitamins and minerals as well as probiotics so should I give him any supplements or digestive enzymes with this food?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan900 View Post
Thank you moms

If I switch him to Stella and chewy should I supplement him with anything? They say they add vitamins and minerals as well as probiotics so should I give him any supplements or digestive enzymes with this food?

NOTE the "Feeding Guide" on this page for "Puppies" who will eat twice the amount of an adult. Also how to transition so that he does not get gut upset.

I have a 9 month old and sometimes he eats 3 pounds of raw per day.

The "Large Patties" (12 pound package) will most likely be more cost efficient for you. And you'll need to clean out your freezer to fit several of these in there!

Transition him first and let him get settled, then decide if you want to add Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes.
Here are 2 Quality Human Grade products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)

Digest All Plus: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/...ll-plustm.html

Keep us posted!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page